18 | Stefan Ortega - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pleased when Ortega came on, I said to my family we have more chance of winning now, so it proved.

Nothing against Ederson but I think if he's in net it would have been a Son goal, 1-1, advantage Arsenal and the league likely gone? I suppose we'll never know?

Please don't let Ortega leave, we will not find as good a keeper to replace him.
He'll leave if he wants to leave. Forcing him to stay would be pointless a less motivated Ortega wouldn't be as good.

suffice to say with any of our other back up keepers over the years, we are not PL champions this year. Ortega will get a champions league move somewhere in summer i fear, but he's been an absolutely massive player for us, particularly this season.

He'll leave if he wants to leave. Forcing him to stay would be pointless a less motivated Ortega wouldn't be as good.
I agree with the sentiment behind your post, what I would like to see from the club is to reconsider what we are offering him, so it makes it more attractive to stay at the number one club in the world.

I agree with the sentiment behind your post, what I would like to see from the club is to reconsider what we are offering him, so it makes it more attractive to stay at the number one club in the world.

What if the offer has to be that he's our number one keeper moving forward? (that's a genuine question btw)

What if the offer has to be that he's our number one keeper moving forward? (that's a genuine question btw)
Personally I would be happy with that, as I think he's a better overall keeper. I like Ederson but he's just not as good as Ortega imo.

As far as I can tell Pep has always tried to have a meritocracy, where the players are picked and rewarded for their outstanding performances, as long as they produce them. Selecting Ortega and allowing him to be genuinely considered as our number one is just an extension of that.

Last edited:
He's been brilliant for us when required.

I don't worry at all when he plays instead of Ederson, how many backup keepers can command that confidence from the fans? I mean that with no disrespect to Ederson , its just they're both very good.

Ederson is still number 1 for me though. I really don't think one is any better than the other in most aspects of goalkeeping, but if we have to choose which one suits us specifically, I think Ederson just shades it, but maybe that's just because he's had more time in that role.

Personally I would be happy with that, as I think he's a better overall keeper. I like Ederson but he's just not as good as Ortega imo.

As far as I can tell Pep has always tried to have a meritocracy, where the players are picked and rewarded for their outstanding performances, as long as they produce them. Selecting Ortega and allowing him to be genuinely considered as our number one is just an extension of that.

Yeah, like i've always been staunchly behind Ederson and I see his distribution as such an integral part to how we play. He's transformed how i watch football tbh. But the more i see of Ortega, the more i think his shot stopping can't be ignored and his footwork isn't half bad either. When Ortega came on last night, I kind of felt like our chances of winning the game had improved, so that says a lot to me about where i'm at regarding the two.

Of course, making Ortega number one wouldn't really solve our second goalie issue, because if he's given the main slot then it would probably result in Ederson leaving in the not too distant future.

Ultimately, there's really not much between them. And i think you can sensibly make case for Ortega without being accused of disrespecting Ederson. The only thing that's certain is that they're both good enough to be number one at a top club and neither should be viewed as a back up to anyone really.

I agree I think there would have been a chance Eddy would hove come out to Akanji's moment and kicked Son over the stand.

Yeah, like i've always been staunchly behind Ederson and I see his distribution as such an integral part to how we play. He's transformed how i watch football tbh. But the more i see of Ortega, the more i think his shot stopping can't be ignored and his footwork isn't half bad either. When Ortega came on last night, I kind of felt like our chances of winning the game had improved, so that says a lot to me about where i'm at regarding the two.

Of course, making Ortega number one wouldn't really solve our second goalie issue, because if he's given the main slot then it would probably result in Ederson leaving in the not too distant future.

Ultimately, there's really not much between them. And i think you can sensibly make case for Ortega without being accused of disrespecting Ederson. The only thing that's certain is that they're both good enough to be number one at a top club and neither should be viewed as a back up to anyone really.
I agree with your post. I wonder if there's a case like Brazil do with Ederson and Alison of rotating the main keeper and selecting depending on the opposition and who's in the best form?

I know it's not a common football practice for a goalkeeper but Pep is a leader of innovation in football.

There's a very good argument for having 2 excellent goalkeepers at a club. I strongly feel it would be a big mistake to let Ortega leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.