Re: De Jong injury to Ben Arfa

HellasLEAF said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QziGyPORRxQ

here is the clip. watch it again.

I want someone to explain to me what De Jong is doing with his right leg. Why he has decided to follow clean through in this manner.

This kind of tackle has no place in football.

I don't think De Jong meant to break his leg. What people don't understand is, that it doesn't matter in the end. In the end, he did. Because quite frankly, I'm not quite sure if De Jong knows how to tackle properly.

The reason De Jong should be suspended is because of his right leg follow through and the 'way he jumped in.' Going in the way he did, at that angle, at the force, the only result was an injury. De Jong has 2 legs. And he is responsible for BOTH OF THEM in a challenge. Just because he got the ball with this left, doesn't mean he is not accountable for his right. His body, his right leg and his quick decision to jump in caused a major injury. People need to get that through their heads. De Jong must learn from this and use better judgement in the future.

ill have to assume you enjoy watching croquet or swimming.

for goodness sake the guy shows a bit of urgency in front of goal and gets crucified for it.

The tackle was good, the outcome was horrible. Not De Jong's fault. De Jong strikes me as a very intelligent footballer. I can't see him purposely trying to injure anyone. I wonder what De Jong thinks about all this.

I'll say 2 more things and then leave it be. It's obvious that there are some true blue nutters on here that will never admit to anything a City players does is wrong. That's fine, stick up for our own and all. But I'm tired of tackles like that from players like De Jong ending the careers of more skillful footballers. I've seen it time and again, I've seen it to my own friends. It's not pleasant.

1 - I think the Dutch coach is foolish for dropping him. I'm very surprised at this move. I hope RM doesn't have any such thoughts. We need this player.

2 - I find it plain strange that people thing De Jong should be blameless for this. Totally blameless. His actions deserve some form of repercussion. What? I dunno. But blameless?? Good lord, he through himself clean through a player full force and broke his leg shit sake!!

of course city players can do wrong..

De Jong made a hard tackle that was aimed at the ball and he got the ball, momentum and weather and ben arfas leg being firmly planted had an unfortunate result.

it was not a stoke-esque dirty shitty tackle.

big difference.

HellasLEAF said:
I'll say 2 more things and then leave it be. It's obvious that there are some true blue nutters on here that will never admit to anything a City players does is wrong. That's fine, stick up for our own and all. But I'm tired of tackles like that from players like De Jong ending the careers of more skillful footballers. I've seen it time and again, I've seen it to my own friends. It's not pleasant.

1 - I think the Dutch coach is foolish for dropping him. I'm very surprised at this move. I hope RM doesn't have any such thoughts. We need this player.

2 - I find it plain strange that people thing De Jong should be blameless for this. Totally blameless. His actions deserve some form of repercussion. What? I dunno. But blameless?? Good lord, he through himself clean through a player full force and broke his leg shit sake!!

he deserves nothing.

the tackle was okay, it's an unfortunate series of physical coincidences.

players will make the same tackle a hundred times this year, no legs will be broken.

the standing leg won't plant so firmly and, no matter how much 'force' is in the collision, the guy will fall over harmlessly, even if it does plant, the guy with the ball will be hit anywhere but the dead centre of the lower leg, and he'll get a bruise and a sore leg.

or the contact will be made with by some other part of the tackler's leg, not their kneecap, and the muscle and fat will absorp the blow, everyone will be fine.

it need only be a minutely oblique or obtuse angle, either glancing off above, below, left or right, and they will just slide off each other.

most likely, the knee will miss the leg entirely.

the idea that de jong used his knee recklessly.... injuring the person you are tackling with the knee on your trailing leg? it's the least likely outcome imaginable.

the injury is the horrible result of a series of chance and coincidence. de jong has made dodgy tackles before, but his reputation doesn't make him responsible for the outcome of this perfectly reasonably conceived and executed challenge.

true blue nutter? ask me about Ben Thatcher or Joey Barton some time. The truth is, other City players have made far more plain attempts to hurt somebody already this year. other teams have done much, much worse.

tackling is dangerous, but any contact sport is dangerous. humans are fragile and any fall or collision can have an unexpected, devastating outcome. you cannot remove injury from this sort of sport. you can only legislate against cynical, dangerous play, and stamp out deliberate attempts to injure. The moment you start thinking, a bad outcome must mean a bad execution, or even worse, bad intent, you are forgetting the realities of human physiology, and the basics of cause and effect.

If this injury is unacceptable to you, and the only way to stop it is to prevent the challenge, then all slide challenges must be outlawed, the goalkeepers must not dive at the feet of the attacker, and ultimately, block tackles where the opponent is moving at speed are unacceptable as well, as all these are difficult to judge, and even when executed well, can easily result in serious injury through direct impact.

I'd rather watch football, to be honest.

HellasLEAF said:

Why is it strange? HE DID NOTHING WRONG.
He through (sic) himself clean through a player full force.
That in and of itself is not illegal. So yes he is blameless. Why can't people separate the injury from the tackle? One more time so that all can understand. The fact that there is an injury does not mean that there was a foul. Sometimes unfortunate things happen and nobody is to blame.

And to your first point about never admitting a City player did anything wrong. When he performed his tackle in the World Cup he was playing for the Dutch but was still a City player. I think it is safe to say that 99.9% of City fans think that "tackle" was outrageous and should have led to an immediate red card--if not more.

media witch hunt.

sponsored by sky.

fuck the dutch team, im glad they've dropped him.

enjoy your well earned 2 week rest nigel, you deserve it.

blue dallas said:
fuck the dutch team, im glad they've dropped him.

enjoy your well earned 2 week rest nigel, you deserve it.

You're right, we should look upon his omission from the Dutch squad as a great plus for us (Maybe DJ doesn't see it that way though).

Lets take this as a positive from this whole media farce.

HellasLEAF said:

And people wonder why there's a growing litigation culture!

Whilst this could very well have happened behind the scenes, I find it puzzling that De Jong did not release a statement wishing Ben Arfa a speedy recovery whilst reiterating he was only going in for the ball and there was no malice behind the challenge.

As for the tackle itself, as far as I'm concerned it wasn't particularly reckless but De Jong has stepped out of line in the past and I can't just exonerate him from any blame because I'm a city fan. I do think he has to tone his tackling down a little in general and keep his studs down more than at present. At the end of the day as much as I love him, he is a dirty player and anyone who thinks he is just 'hard but fair' needs to take off their city specs for a second.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.