1980's City centre pub help?

sky tot said:
anyone remember Ganders flies South ?
think it was in St Annes sq,used to have a happy hour wheel which was spun for the price of drinks.

Ganders Goes South. This was at the back of St Annes Square attached to Barton Arcade. A jazz band played there Fridays and Saturday and it was a fine restaurant too.

oakiecokie said:
Anyone remember the one in Picc Gardens by the old bus depot, underneath the Hotel.(or near it as I remember)
Had a side door and also a downstairs bar,going back to the late 60s and early 70,s.Always a City pub in those days even when the rags were at home they never ventured near !!
Used to meet up with Mark Bitner and about a dozen of us.
Ahhhhh,great times !!

The Down Town. May have been called something different earlier but in the 80's it was this.

manchester blue said:
sky tot said:
anyone remember Ganders flies South ?
think it was in St Annes sq,used to have a happy hour wheel which was spun for the price of drinks.

Ganders Goes South. This was at the back of St Annes Square attached to Barton Arcade. A jazz band played there Fridays and Saturday and it was a fine restaurant too.

oakiecokie said:
Anyone remember the one in Picc Gardens by the old bus depot, underneath the Hotel.(or near it as I remember)
Had a side door and also a downstairs bar,going back to the late 60s and early 70,s.Always a City pub in those days even when the rags were at home they never ventured near !!
Used to meet up with Mark Bitner and about a dozen of us.
Ahhhhh,great times !!

The Down Town. May have been called something different earlier but in the 80's it was this.

Portland Bars

Brannigans, under the Royal Exchange.....it's design was based on Cheers, the tv show apparently. Used to go in there a lot in the day.....mainly cos knew one of the barmaids, and if we gave her a fiver for two or three beers, she would give us 4.99 in change, lol....first place to sell Grolsch in those 'stopper' bottles.

A mate was down there not long ago, he is a spark, and said it's all still there as was......bar, tables and chairs, stuff on the wall etc.....just looks like it's closed for the night...... A real shame. Apparently there have been several interested parties wanting to open it again, but the problem is the access now. Door opens in the arcade which has to locked at night now.....would think there was a way around it though....?

I remember when there wasn't a single bar on Deansgate - The Sawyers Arms was the first pub you came to if you walked down from the Victoria Station end.

And the Irish pub behind Kendals was originally called The Wagon and Horses - I think it's Mulligans now.

And The Moon Under The Water was the place to take your new bird midweek when it was the ABC cinema - happy days.

Eighties night out = Mersey Lights on Prinnie Parkway onto Brannigans in The Exchange onto Fennels/Thursdays and end up catching an all night bus from Piccadilly onto The Reno. I PROMISE YOU MANCHESTER IS A MUCH SAFER PLACE NOWDAYS!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.