1980's City centre pub help?

LongsightM13 said:
Always felt there was something magically seedy about downstairs basement bars. Corbieres an all time fave and Branagans in the Royal Exchange was another. That Downtown place in Portland Street was awful. Used to serve over-priced pints in foot-high vases to discourage 'the wrong clientele'
not forgetin the conservatory my friend!!!

Prestwich_Blue said:
manchester blue said:
Blue2112 - I must have been in the same pub as you at somepoint, that's practically my old pub crawl! Wouldn't have got that name. My mate used to own the Garrett, was a good night there.

Here's another one. The pub at the top of the old entrance to The Arndale Centre opp Marks and Spencers now gone?
The John Willy?

Wasn't that on Shudehill near the bus station? Up some steps? Gaudino got it - Seftons it was called. Started many a night or day in there.

bluwes said:
Manchester lalala said:
Pub on Market Street was the Sportsman-Down some stairs to get in....Think there's a Tesco extra there now.

It was the Auld Reekie before that

One of my relations used to work as a barmaid there. She must have been in her fifties even then (am going back to the mid 1970's). Her twin sister used to be Foo Foo Lamarr's accountant, and he used to send round the Rolls Royce to pick her up to do his book keeping.

I think the most surreal moment I have ever had was walking into Lamarr's club back in about 1994 and seeing the twins (who would have been in their seventies then) both sat at the bar. Tiny women (made up to death with beehive ish hair do's) whose feet didn't even touch the bar stool rung, sipping shorts. They waved to me and invited me over, and I still find it all a bit David Lynch even now.

Blue2112 said:
Used to go in the beer house in the late 80's and meet up with a load of Blues from Droylsden, greta lads and still occassionally bump into a few of them at games. No it wasn't the beer house, I think Robsta might be right with The Trafalgar. I said to my mate I'm sure it began with a T but could only think of the Thompsons which was over in the village.

Blue2112, I asked my mate today and he came up with The Trafalgar as well (without me suggesting it). Nether of us could be 100% sure though. Weird coz if it was Rosie's or The Shakespeare I'd have no doubt with those names. Anway he's going to ask another mate to check. See what you've started here :-) this is going to go on and on.

The thing we both remembered was the booths, coz one of the lads from work was knocking off some woman at the office at the time and they used to have cosey little lunches in there.

robsta said:
Blue2112 said:
Used to go in the beer house in the late 80's and meet up with a load of Blues from Droylsden, greta lads and still occassionally bump into a few of them at games. No it wasn't the beer house, I think Robsta might be right with The Trafalgar. I said to my mate I'm sure it began with a T but could only think of the Thompsons which was over in the village.

Blue2112, I asked my mate today and he came up with The Trafalgar as well (without me suggesting it). Nether of us could be 100% sure though. Weird coz if it was Rosie's or The Shakespeare I'd have no doubt with those names. Anway he's going to ask another mate to check. See what you've started here :-) this is going to go on and on.

The thing we both remembered was the booths, coz one of the lads from work was knocking off some woman at the office at the time and they used to have cosey little lunches in there.

It was called the York , before it became Rosies

anyone remember Ganders flies South ?
think it was in St Annes sq,used to have a happy hour wheel which was spun for the price of drinks.

Bloody Hell

Some memories been dug up for me here, I remember most of these places of course Manchester City Centre was a different place back in the 80's a lot rougher than now

Thanks guys for that Ive spoke to my mate who I was reminiscing with and we now both agree that yes its The Trafalgar, cheers Robsta, Gaudinio et al I knew I'd get the answer on here. There's loads of others here now that have brought some memories especially the Conservatory, bloody ell I feel quite old all of a sudden. Does anyone else remember Horts?

Gaudinio I'm sure our paths have crossed, don't you know all the Ancoats crew of Blues as well as Webby from Nottingham and if my memory serves me correct I think we share similar tastes in music.

Ducado said:
Bloody Hell

Some memories been dug up for me here, I remember most of these places of course Manchester City Centre was a different place back in the 80's a lot rougher than now

Towns a fucking pissed up warzone now so god knows what the 80's was like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.