1980's City centre pub help?

crumpsallblue said:
LongsightM13 said:
Always felt there was something magically seedy about downstairs basement bars. Corbieres an all time fave and Branagans in the Royal Exchange was another. That Downtown place in Portland Street was awful. Used to serve over-priced pints in foot-high vases to discourage 'the wrong clientele'
not forgetin the conservatory my friend!!!
St Ann's Square? Used to meet my E dealer in there 88-89

scottyboi said:
Ducado said:
Bloody Hell

Some memories been dug up for me here, I remember most of these places of course Manchester City Centre was a different place back in the 80's a lot rougher than now

Towns a fucking pissed up warzone now so god knows what the 80's was like.

Used to be great coming out of Jillys at two in the morning with all the metal fans on one side whilst Rotters opened its doors with all the wideboys on the other. Getting the late bus home was always mental. The amount of times it kicked off and the bus had to pull over, could take hours to get a few miles up the road. The amount of times Ive seen pissed up lads going toe to toe at some unearthly godforsaken hour of the morning over sweet fuck all.

Rotters was an evil place for brawling. But nowhere in town ever matched the Cyprus 85-93 for insane, mindless and unprovoked violence. Added atmosphere to the dump, though

Blue2112 said:
Used to be great coming out of Jillys at two in the morning with all the metal fans on one side whilst Rotters opened its doors with all the wideboys on the other. Getting the late bus home was always mental. The amount of times it kicked off and the bus had to pull over, could take hours to get a few miles up the road. The amount of times Ive seen pissed up lads going toe to toe at some unearthly godforsaken hour of the morning over sweet fuck all.

Hey now you've started another one with the all night buses. Brilliant days.
I got on one once that was absolutely packed. Some real dickheads around so when this old bird got on and sat next to me I thought great, safe with this. She then kept passing out and falling all over me.

The guy behind me was throwing up and this woman dropped her money in the puddle of vomit under the seat. Then further down the route after the sick guy had got off, two lads came and sat behind me. One of them starts picking all the coins out of the pool of sick while his mate is slagging him off. Meanwhile the old bird is unconscious leaning on me.

The guard comes round for fares, I pay mine and the cheeky git says "that's not enough, what about your Mum". Told him she's not with me and he just walks off without offering to help or anything. Yep the god old days :-)

robsta said:
Blue2112 said:

Hey now you've started another one with the all night buses. Brilliant days.
I got on one once that was absolutely packed. Some real dickheads around so when this old bird got on and sat next to me I thought great, safe with this. She then kept passing out and falling all over me.

The guy behind me was throwing up and this woman dropped her money in the puddle of vomit under the seat. Then further down the route after the sick guy had got off, two lads came and sat behind me. One of them starts picking all the coins out of the pool of sick while his mate is slagging him off. Meanwhile the old bird is unconscious leaning on me.

The guard comes round for fares, I pay mine and the cheeky git says "that's not enough, what about your Mum". Told him she's not with me and he just walks off without offering to help or anything. Yep the god old days :-)

The day we beat Charlton 5-1, I was out on the piss all day and night and decided to go home with the girlfriend and sleep at hers so we both got the last bus out of town. I was living in Harpurhey at the time and she was up on Hyde Rd Gorton but at the top end almost into Denton which at the time might as well have been a foreign country to me. Anyway I'm enjoying myself pissed up and singing City songs when it suddenly dawns on me she got off somewhere a few stops earlier and I ended up at the terminus in Hyde. Having no idea where the fuck I was and before the days of mobile phones I was lucky the driver said I could go back to the bus depot on Hyde Rd with him. Got off there at about 4am still not knowing how the fuck to get home, so walked into town and back out up Rochdale Rd getting in at around 6am knackered and sobered up. The easiest thing was to have waved a taxi down but you give up when a few don't stop and think fuck it its shanks pony for me. There's been a fair few mornings after when Ive woke up and thought how the fuck did I not get mugged walking back home at stupid hours pissed as a fart.

I've survived the 192 night bus. And had a fight! (and I'm a girl!)...
Some of those old pub names are very 'memory lane'-ish now! Hard to think how 'town' has changed so much in such a short space of time. Hardly any 'proper' pubs now and all wanky bars!
Used to wag school and drink in John Willie Lees...Christ knows how we used to drink the lager in there, was always pish! But we were 15 and didn't care...

Wasn't the boozer on Corporation St called Samuel Pepys?

Blue2112 said:
What about the Bier Keller that was a mad place with its big pint jugs.

Had some brilliant nights in there. They couldn't risk it with them big 2 pinter jugs now, someone would get seriously glassed. Just remembered some embarrassing dancing to "the music man". Sh!t !

Anyone remember the one in Picc Gardens by the old bus depot, underneath the Hotel.(or near it as I remember)
Had a side door and also a downstairs bar,going back to the late 60s and early 70,s.Always a City pub in those days even when the rags were at home they never ventured near !!
Used to meet up with Mark Bitner and about a dozen of us.
Ahhhhh,great times !!

Just outside the city centre, did any of you ever venture into a dump in Ardwick Green, behind the Apollo, called Stables? Oh my days, that was proper rough as

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.