2 | Kyle Walker - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though they play on opposite sides, it's Ake's form that's keeping Walker out of the team more than anything.

I think Pep is reluctant to play them in the same team as the two full-backs because he wants the extra man in midfield and doesn't think either of them would be comfortable playing there.

Ake has been rock solid at left-back and being a centre-back by trade means he is naturally more suited to playing in the back three we use in the build-up than Walker. Having said that, Walker has played in a back three before and I think he could do the role Akanji is currently doing but there's no real reason to make that change right now.

The fact that Stones is proving to be very competent at playing the hybrid RB/DM role is making it even harder to see how he gets in but even if Stones wasn't performing as he is, I could see Pep opting for Lewis in a lot of games which we were already starting to see a lot of.

I'm not suggesting Walker won't play again this season because he could still have a major role to play as I'm sure there will be games where Pep feels we need his pace and experience but it does feel like we're gradually starting to phase him out of the team.

Right now we're doing well but come crunch times in the big games he'll probably start over Akanji and he'll be our third CB/ wide right CB for his recovery pace against trickier wingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.