2020/21 - A New Season

I’m concerned that this has been more like an “extended winter break” for the team, rather than a full summer refresh...

While I hope we don’t carry last year’s form into this one, I can see the same problems and silly mistakes repeating themselves. Really hope Pep gets his act together straight away - I don’t think we need many more players, maybe just a centre back. It’s more important that we play our best XI and stop the constant tinkering

Our midfield is worrying me, i want Foden in the midfield but itll be Gundogan, so Rodri , Gundogan,KDB. Watching Germany last night spain past through Germany's midfield with ease with Gundogan in there.

Think our midfield will be our biggest problem this season. Can see us losing the midfield possession game against a few teams, and that was unthinkable not too long ago.

Think our midfield will be our biggest problem this season. Can see us losing the midfield possession game against a few teams, and that was unthinkable not too long ago.

i would have gone for Partey from Athletico and the pirate sounding Aouar as additions to get a complete dominating midfield

I think if we get Koulibaly & he plays like he can, then he & Ake will largely make up for Gundogan & Rodri.

If we instead continue fucking about with Garcia etc, we will get absolutely tortured by some unlikely teams & struggle to get top 4.

I like Torres, but it's nice to have new ideas in the attacking 3rd & without signings we will be relying purely on youngsters Foden & Torres to do it but perhaps with a less sharp Aguero. We don't know what we will get from Bernardo.

A bit of Braaf, Delap & Couto might give us another edge, but not likely we'll see much of them.

I think the season will depend on finding inspiration as the top teams are getting used to our play & we need some surprises.

I think if we get Koulibaly & he plays like he can, then he & Ake will largely make up for Gundogan & Rodri.

If we instead continue fucking about with Garcia etc, we will get absolutely tortured by some unlikely teams & struggle to get top 4.

I like Torres, but it's nice to have new ideas in the attacking 3rd & without signings we will be relying purely on youngsters Foden & Torres to do it but perhaps with a less sharp Aguero. We don't know what we will get from Bernardo.

A bit of Braaf, Delap & Couto might give us another edge, but not likely we'll see much of them.

I think the season will depend on finding inspiration as the top teams are getting used to our play & we need some surprises.

That you have to write the sentence "...make up for Gundogan and Rodri," makes me shudder.

They're the weak link in the side. Until we fix that I don't see us winning the league or champs league.

I'd like to see the 3 kids you've mentioned but as you say it's unlikely.

We do need to find some inspiration as we're playing stale, teams have figured us out and the only plan B we have is pointless crossing.

That you have to write the sentence "...make up for Gundogan and Rodri," makes me shudder.

They're the weak link in the side. Until we fix that I don't see us winning the league or champs league.

I'd like to see the 3 kids you've mentioned but as you say it's unlikely.

We do need to find some inspiration as we're playing stale, teams have figured us out and the only plan B we have is pointless crossing.

I hate it too but as we don't have any genuine centre mid options who can turn or run quickly it is what it is. If we did, those two would be used in games when it suited rather than because we have to.

But quick, decisive defenders, behind them, would close a lot of that ground which they can't cover.

Stacked in the left centre back and right back positions.

Fucked in regard to right sided centre backs, with Garcia, Stones and Otamendi all destined for the door. Fucked at left back with Mendy being pretty poor and Zin and Angelino again, look to be outward bound.

Bravo, as poor as he could be, was a good cup keeper. Nothing to suggest Steffan will be a better deputy.

Happy with the midfield and attack. Super concerned about our defence. Can’t do with a year of Ake at left back. Just buy a fucking left back who’s not shit!

I doubt any club is ready for the new season

One advantage we will have next season is that fixture congestion, player fatigue... and the inevitable injuries that come with that, will be a big problem for everybody

That's when squad rotation becomes a big factor, and we've got the strongest squad in the league

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think we are in for a very good season. There is just this feeling and I've seen other clubs have similar situations which end badly. I'll try to formulate my thoughts.

Massively disappointing end of season
I think it's safe to say there was disharmony between players and the coach with the way we lost against Lyon. But that wasn't the only issue. Just 2 weeks earlier we had been kicked out of FA Cup by a team with a new manager and on the up while we played our usual style. It is not like Pool when they lost title by 2 points when they gave it all and just came up short, we were well short. I think there is bound to be some hangover that will affect us.

Starting 11 will be pretty much the same
For multiple seasons in a row now there will be very little difference to the starting 11. I expect Ake and Ferran to be mostly bench players and KK will be the only one coming into our strongest team. This doesn't mean our starting 11 is bad, it just means there is some comfort there that isn't good. Every single team also knows how to play against our team.

Tactics will remain the same
With such a small break I expect us to play the same way we have for a while now mostly. As mentioned before everyone will know how to play against us and I simply don't see where this magical improvement comes where we make up 15-20 points.

The rivals are on the way up and there is more buzz about them
Arsenal, Chelsea, United - all on upwards trajectory. There is excitement about them that is missing from us. Naturally this doesn't immediately mean they are better than us but this is another phsychologial factor that I fear could leave us short - there simply isn't that excitement in our team that there is in a new team (the one we saw under our 100pt season). With games every 3 days you need the excitement to get you through it.

Break not long enough to recharge
All the points brought previously have led me to believe we are the team that needed a break after last season more than our competitors. I have no doubt players at Chelsea can't wait to get started while the feeling here is a bit different.

As mentioned in the first sentence, I sincerely hope I'm wrong but I just got a bad feeling. I've see many other clubs be in the same situation and fall flat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.