21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Give him time. I remember lots of people on here saying Zabaleta, Zinny and Cancelo weren’t good enough in their early days.
I reckon he’ll be a decent player for us. The Lad needs our support
i read hes only been playing lb for a year and to be honest hes hardly had anyone to learn of at city because we dont have one. hes also not the inverting midfielder that zinny was but people also conviently forgetting the amount of times city wanted to sell zinny and some of zinnys peformances ie west ham away last year. its like all players being afforded the year to settle no longer applies.

i hope he comes good seems like a really decent lad and hes not here to be first choice. its also not fair to take issues out on him thats due to lack of a actual left back which i feel some are doing.

yes today he wasnt great but he was against chelsea some forget i feel young players have off game. also given hes had probably more off than on right now but i feel he should be given a chance like we do all the others who funnily enough were terrible today.

Why dont this thread is Named After Zinchenko? This ridiculous. That gus was poor too till his last season and he is being to look like the best LB the game has ever graced

Can't believe we paid 11m for him.
We could have gone and got any left back from the championship for that - surely one of them is better than Gomez.

his playing style/skill set reminds me of Jordi Alba..i hope Pep gives him more chances...if we wanna play exciting offensiv football than players like him or Cancelo should be preferred as a LB instead of Ake/Laporte...you have to live with defensiv mistakes

This lad is simply not good enough.

We thought we could get away with signing him to slot in until we could find a proper long term left back and at the same time replace Zinchenko in the hope he might turn out as a surprise and be as good as Zinchenko.

He isn’t.

He looks amongst the lowest quality players we’ve signed since the takeover. And that’s not a shout like in the Phillips (or many other players in their first season) thread where it’s his first season and we’ve barely seen any of him, because we’ve seen Phillips for Leeds and England and know what he’s a capable of. You can just tell immediately with this lad he’s nowhere near the required standard.

his playing style/skill set reminds me of Jordi Alba..i hope Pep gives him more chances...if we wanna play exciting offensiv football than players like him or Cancelo should be preferred as a LB instead of Ake/Laporte...you have to live with defensiv mistakes

We can live with a defensive mistake where he doesn't quite read the danger. But consistently giving the ball away isn't something we can live with. He's got too many attacking attributes for me, to be able to perform as a LB in Pep's current system which is a defensive role. He doesn't have the authority to overlap and stretch play, which is the better part of his game. Zinchenko wasn't consistently brilliant, but he managed to nail down the basics. He did become a target defensively, because he wasn't a natural left back. But you could generally count on him to keep the ball under pressure, form the passing triangles which is a huge part of how we create chances. Gomez you can count on passing straight to the opposition! But he wasn't a huge outlay, he's still young, and he's worth giving time to.

Give him time. I remember lots of people on here saying Zabaleta, Zinny and Cancelo weren’t good enough in their early days.
I reckon he’ll be a decent player for us. The Lad needs our support

Nah. That could well be his last game for City. He isn't a premier league level full-back. He wouldn't get into that Southampton team that is bottom of the league.

Not everyone needs time. Some players just aren't good enough for this level. Gomez is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.