21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not good enough, is he? Selling Zinchenko felt like a mistake, getting this guy in to replace him felt like a risk. It's not paid off. Not sure why we've let Angelino and Zincheko leave only to get this guy in.

I don't think he is a bad player but I don’t think he is the answer to our problems either. Reminds me more of Angelino than Zin and Pep wanted none of that, so I am unsure how we have ended up as we are.

One bad pass and everyone is writing him off.
It's not just "one bad pass", is it, though?

It's the red card against Copenhagen, the hair-brained defending basically every time he steps on the pitch, and the fact that he's not worthy cover for Ake or Cancelo. He got lost under the ball in the first 15 mins against Southampton tonight and then gave a foul away trying to win it back, he gave up possession numerous times trying to force things that weren't there, and then he gifted that pass back to them for their opening goal. He looks nervous in possession in our half and he's a quivering wreck when facing up against any winger.

He looks decent in the attacking third. That cut-back to Haaland for the 5th goal against United was nice, and he kept the move alive for Foden's goal against Chelsea at the weekend. He's clearly a tidy player, but he's not a left-back and he's absolutely not Premier League quality - as evidenced by the fact that he's started precisely zero league games this season. When the team plays well, he clearly gets involved and contributes going forward, but when a couple of lads are off it, he's almost always one of them.

Doubt we'll see him again anyway. He's going the way of Nolito.

It's the red card against Copenhagen, the hair-brained defending basically every time he steps on the pitch, and the fact that he's not worthy cover for Ake or Cancelo. He got lost under the ball in the first 15 mins against Southampton tonight and then gave a foul away trying to win it back, he gave up possession numerous times trying to force things that weren't there, and then he gifted that pass back to them for their opening goal. He looks nervous in possession in our half and he's a quivering wreck when facing up against any winger.

He looks decent in the attacking third. That cut-back to Haaland for the 5th goal against United was nice, and he kept the move alive for Foden's goal against Chelsea at the weekend. He's clearly a tidy player, but he's not a left-back and he's absolutely not Premier League quality - as evidenced by the fact that he's started precisely zero league games this season. When the team plays well, he clearly gets involved and contributes going forward, but when a couple of lads are off it, he's almost always one of them.

Sadly I’d agree with most of that.

Off tonight’s showing though, he’s capable cover for Cancelo’s current standard. That of course is saying nothing.

Sergio can play a lot better. He showed it in the last game.
This time he has Jack on his side. Jack is no winger. Jack is winger facing our goal.

Spot on.

Not good enough, is he? Selling Zinchenko felt like a mistake, getting this guy in to replace him felt like a risk. It's not paid off. Not sure why we've let Angelino and Zincheko leave only to get this guy in.
we also have to remember pep wanted rid of zinny in his first 2 season because he was trash. this kid has made mistakes but hes hardly got someone to learn from in the team has he. I do think hell eventually moved on but id rather give him the year the cancelo and zinny got.

Give him time. I remember lots of people on here saying Zabaleta, Zinny and Cancelo weren’t good enough in their early days.
I reckon he’ll be a decent player for us. The Lad needs our support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.