21 | Sergio Gomez - 2023/24

Pep rotated a lot last 1/2 thirds of last season he went so many games without repeating the same 11 once. He even tells how he needs to be constantly rotating players in big teams like CIty to manage egos.
I think you get your chances in the first half of the season with Pep as he has eased those players who have played a lot of football back into the team post season. When it gets to the business end he sticks to a smaller pool of trusted players in the competitions we are still in with a shout of winning which is usually all of them. If the league is won a few more get run outs. Gomez and Phillips need to hit the start of the season up and running if they are still here.
Gomez needs to play in a midfield role to get the best out of him and may play a useful role as cover which he may accept if he got a reasonable number of minutes but can't see him ever being close to a first choice. Same with Phillips - potentially looked a good squad player but no where near first choice.

How is that not promising? Are we now pretending Zinchenko was a terrible player for us?

This guy was bought for relative peanuts from the Belgian league; if he gets anywhere near the amount of medals Zinchenko won with us then he'll be a massive success.

No I’m not pretending. He wasn’t good enough.

Not good enough, not fast enough, not strong enough either as a defensive fullback or an overlapping wingback. Ok in the suplimentary midfield position he moved into when we had the ball. But definitely no good enough to be a first choice pick to play in our midfield.

Always at the seen of the accident both for us and Arsenal.

No I’m not pretending. He wasn’t good enough.

Not good enough, not fast enough, not strong enough either as a defensive fullback or an overlapping wingback. Ok in the suplimentary midfield position he moved into when we had the ball. But definitely no good enough to be a first choice pick to play in our midfield.

Always at the seen of the accident both for us and Arsenal.

I just don't really get why people like you have to be so hyperbolic about players.

He was a great squad player. Squads are what have brought us the success we've had over the last fifteen years, not your favourite starting eleven.

That's not to say he doesn't have shortcomings as a player but there's a reason why he was and still is loved and respected amongst our fans, players and staff.

If Sergio Gomez has a City career like Zinchenko did then he'll go down as a big success. Again, I'll ask what you expect from young squad players who were signed for minimal fees.

I just don't really get why people like you have to be so hyperbolic about players.

He was a great squad player. Squads are what have brought us the success we've had over the last fifteen years, not your favourite starting eleven.

That's not to say he doesn't have shortcomings as a player but there's a reason why he was and still is loved and respected amongst our fans, players and staff.

If Sergio Gomez has a City career like Zinchenko did then he'll go down as a big success. Again, I'll ask what you expect from young squad players who were signed for minimal fees.

As a long time supporter and a home and away match going fan, I saw enough of Zinchenko to make my own opinion of his abilities or lack of.

I wasn’t upset in the slightest when I heard he was going because in the biggest games he was found wanting. As for Sergio Gomez he has ability going forward IMO, if his level was going to be Zinchenkos level I’d rather get rid now. I’d would however like to give Sergio more time against lower profile team maybe in the C Cup or FA Cups maybe even in E Cup against easier competition.

I hope that explains where people like me are coming from

As a long time supporter and a home and away match going fan

What coaching badges do they give you for that again?

if his level was going to be Zinchenkos level I’d rather get rid now.

Why though? We won trophies with Zinchenko in the squad most weeks and we made a really decent chunk of money off him when we eventually sold him.

If Gomez follows that same path then his signing will have been a big success. Just like Zinchenko was.

What coaching badges do they give you for that again?

Why though? We won trophies with Zinchenko in the squad most weeks and we made a really decent chunk of money off him when we eventually sold him.

If Gomez follows that same path then his signing will have been a big success. Just like Zinchenko was.

I probably have the same coaching badges you.

I told you exactly why I don’t rate him already, If you don’t agree that’s great I don’t think either of us will lose any sleep over it.

I probably have the same coaching badges you.

I told you exactly why I don’t rate him already If you don’t agree that’s great I don’t think either of us will lose any sleep over it.

Don't mind me, I'm just taking the piss.

It's not really about why you don't rate him, it's about me trying to get my head around how you'd expect more from those types of signings and why you'd be anything other than grateful for what they achieve relative to those initial expectations.

As a long time supporter and a home and away match going fan, I saw enough of Zinchenko to make my own opinion of his abilities or lack of.

I wasn’t upset in the slightest when I heard he was going because in the biggest games he was found wanting. As for Sergio Gomez he has ability going forward IMO, if his level was going to be Zinchenkos level I’d rather get rid now. I’d would however like to give Sergio more time against lower profile team maybe in the C Cup or FA Cups maybe even in E Cup against easier competition.

I hope that explains where people like me are coming from
Think Gomez is a better prospect than Zinny, better shot, better vision, better on free kicks , good on the ball but does panic with rash challenges.
Zinny strengths more mental toughness, didn't panic so much defending, good competitor, good football brain.
Prefer Sergio as a prospect nit lb though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.