24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC the poster Vianchi was a big Gvardiol fan who came on here to tell us how good he was before we signed him. He posts in good faith defending his country man.

I still think we don't see the best of Josko as he's been asked to play as a LW/LB hybrid. Obviously under instruction from Pep. He's going to be a great LCB. In my opinion he's not a LB

Does he really get hate, or is it more likely that people had really high expectations of him and he hasn’t quite lived up to it so far?
I think he gets a lot of harsh criticism for average performances - performances that if he were a veteran player or half the price no one would comment on. And I think because he was $$, he’s not given the same patience of other young players.

Eta - I Also think he gets a lot of crap for not being as good as Ake/Akanji/Dias/etc. Which those are senior players who have worked together for a year or more. It feels obvious it was going to take to some to get up to their levels?

Last edited:
IIRC the poster Vianchi was a big Gvardiol fan who came on here to tell us how good he was before we signed him. He posts in good faith defending his country man.

I still think we don't see the best of Josko as he's been asked to play as a LW/LB hybrid. Obviously under instruction from Pep. He's going to be a great LCB. In my opinion he's not a LB
Considering age, experience , new country and playing in the best club side in football his performances have been outstanding.

Superb first season.

Hoping he gets better next season as tbh this season apart from glimpses of what he can do he has been average. He has played out of position most of the time so we can cut him some slack but he has to improve because atm I don’t see the best young defender in the world . Really hope he comes good .

Sometimes he looks quality but also has a very bad lapse in concentration for a moment a couple of times a game and can lose the ball in a bad area which could be dangerous

Bur he is still very young and not playing in his natural position. I still believe in the future we will be saying be was a great signing.

I think very poor match for him, simply this LB role does not suit his strengths but does puts his weaknesses under spotlight. he had many like this so not due to injury really.

maybe in a defensive team, who are sitting back, have the ball less he could be a decent LB (never really stepping over opposite half) but in current City set up its better for us Ake to play LB.

honestly dont see it just click for him next season in the LB role. he doesnt feel comfortable in that quite big space he is supposed to handle and it leads to concentration lapses, verz easy balls passed to straight to opponent, losing the balls in dangerous areas etc. top players will punish us for those and you know what happens then 1 shot= 1 goal.

its bit like asking Kovacic to play a winger for us, he wouldnt be magical in that role in his second season even if he tried.

I would really want to see him getting a longer period as CB but it wont happen now at business end of the season if we didnt bed him in in that position all these last months.

compared to the hype and price around his transfer, he has to deliver levels above these performances luckily he is young but probably also struggling to come to terms with being top dog at young age at a decent Leipzig team and here is a nobody yet and feels a bit out of place due to level of our play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.