24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
is there any reason why Pep is playing the best young CB in the world at LB? When one of our best and most consistent players from last season in Ake was at LB?
They're both comfortable in either role. He's still settling in, left back is seen as the better, easier, less risky position to bed him in and he can get up the pitch a bit more from there. Once he is fully integrated, I expect he won't play exclusively left back however I still think with the current squad it will be a fairly equal split, who he plays with and the opposition will dictate where we use him.

I don't think him playing cb yesterday makes any difference at all to the game. He's miles better on the ball than ake and Dias but that doesn't really matter when there's nobody infront of him to pass to.

In a see of negatives yesterday....he is a huge positive.

Bit leftfield this idea,and im not sure if someone else has thought similar already.....but given his skill set and physique,could Pep develop him into a Rodri understudy?

Bit leftfield this idea,and im not sure if someone else has thought similar already.....but given his skill set and physique,could Pep develop him into a Rodri understudy?
I think he could do that role too, he’s got the skill set to do it, just needs Peps guidance.

he could i guess. joško played every position except gk during his development in dinamo.

anyway, today in zagreb with his boots in a city bag :DCA35BE57-1DCE-457D-A091-42FFC59A606A.jpeg

He was good defensively but a 71% pass completion from defence is shocking. Also has the highest inaccurate short passes per 90 in the squad... definitely something he has to work on
So I was curious about this. I looked at fbref.com and he’s at 90.7% for short passes which isn’t the lowest in the squad. Similar to Walker and a bit lower than Ake (93.6%). Room to improve certainly but not terrible. (Im sure stat companies all have some variation too).

Real question (not specifically for you) because both he and Dias had low completion rates yesterday, when I rewatched the game I played special attention to their passing. It didn’t appear that they mis-passed as many times as the various stat sites recorded. I was assuming if the recipient is able to field the ball, even if they have to move, it’s considered complete, but is there more to it than that? If two people are fighting for possession and one kicks it a few feet away, but it’s not received by a teammate is that considered an inaccurate “pass?”

I think Gvardiol will eventually become a club legend. He will be amazing when he moves to his strongest position at centre-back. He looks good enough technically to play in midfield (certainly as good as John Stones). Perhaps he could do the Rodri role. We are struggling there. I thought Bernie did fine there against Arsenal but we need him in a more attacking position.

my national team was crap tonight, unacceptable, sloppy performance at home.

joško was by far our best player on the pitch, absolute rock in the defense, good offensively as well, almost had two assists. what a player. and he had to play with a tree stump as a lb next to him.

my national team was crap tonight, unacceptable, sloppy performance at home.

joško was by far our best player on the pitch, absolute rock in the defense, good offensively as well, almost had two assists. what a player. and he had to play with a tree stump as a lb next to him.
I'm assuming you mean Barisic? When did Sosa come on?

Ultimately, I’m curious what the long term plan is with him. LB, CH, Stones role? With the schedule there clearly hasn’t been any time to really work on anything with Pep, so I suppose long term could mean like next year. Or is it just fill in game to game as needed.
I think he will eventually be played in the Stones role, maybe when Stones doesn't play. Inverted left back coming into midfield, or centre back stepping up into midfield.

Pep has already alluded as such, praising his ability to play CB, LB and DM.

Can't expect him to be throw in immediately into such a difficult role when he's just joined.

I'm assuming you mean Barisic? When did Sosa come on?
yeah it was barišić, 80 minutes of him being horrible and useless, sosa got 10 minutes + injury time.

here’s one of joško’s good moves. he also had a couple super precise long balls to our strikers but well, those aren’t christopher nkunku… basically, cloning gvardiol would solve a lot of our issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.