• Start date
start 11 no left winger, because you have Bernado, Foden, Alvarez, Kev, Haaland
too many people
so no left winger, Pep let Gvardiol do the left wingers job
maybe that is the reason why

Chelsea away when he got his feet mixed up and the ball lost under them

Last week at home to Burnley when he got skinned for the consolation goal

Villa away when he was too slow for Bailey

Almost one at home to Spurs when Brennan Johnson was too quick for him.
In all of them, there were other players to blame as well. He was never the only one. Last week Lewis lost the 1 vs 1 with the striker who tapped it in, almost one at Spurs never happened. On the other hand, last one against Spurs it was Walker who was too slow for Brennan Johnson as well, and he is the fastest RB in the world, and Ake made an error when he didn't even jump vs Kulusevski (responsible for a goal yesterday, but not a single person talking about it, Crystal Palace, too slow for Neto against Wolves and it cost us 3 points). Against Bailey, again, he lost a foot race with him, but other defenders were standing there watching and it was a deflected lucky goal. Again, Bailey, Johnson, or Neto are some of the fastest players in the league, and all of our defenders have lost races against them on occasion. It seems Gvardiol is not the only player who makes an occasional mistake or is too slow.
Anyway, against Chelsea, when he got his feet mixed up, Akanji completely missed the ball, and Walker didn't mark the goal scorer.

Overall, all of our defenders cost us goals this season, but it's about how many they prevent with their play or how much they contribute offensively. It's like saying let's sell Haaland because he didn't score a 1 on 1 yesterday. This is the equivalent of costing us a goal. It would be crazy, it happens, he will score the next one. The overall play is what matters.

Last edited:
Thought he played well, especially in the 2nd half. I mean, most of his crosses suck but I don't expect much of a crosser out of a CB.

his heat map tonight, i don’t even know what he is anymore.

View attachment 106320
This is exactly what we want. He is constantly involved and active both defensively and offensively.
too slow, skinned, johnson was too quick - see a pattern there? he’s not a slow cb at all, he will never have walker’s pace though. i’m sure city had all the info about him before buying him. and yet pep is playing him there again and again. you do understand that gvardiol doesn’t choose his position? he’d play cb if it was up to him ;)
Brennan Johnson is the fastest player in the PL not named Kyle Walker, with a recorded 36,7km/h top speed. That being said, when we played Spurs, Walker actually lost a foot race with him because these are obviously top speeds on their best days, but it seems that currently, Johnson is faster than Walker, even. How are people using him as an example of Gvardiol being slow is beyond me.

think pep is playing him into the squad, learning the system, its better for him to learn out wide than in the heart of defence, pep knows what hes doing and we will reap the benefits in the future, been very impressed with him for his first season in a new system,new team and new country, some people sadly want everything from him yesterday, hes one for the long term future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.