25 | Manuel Akanji - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laporte has excellent technique striking the ball. If you want a crisp pass 40 yards down the line into feet, he's your man. He gets great velocity and shape on the ball. I think he's one of the weakest at carrying the ball and doesn't offer as much in terms of intricate, short passing.

Stones is much better at incisive passing over shorter distances. He has a great eye for angles and is by far the best at progressive passes through pressure between the lines. He's also the most elegant carrying the ball forward and probably still the best when put under pressure.

I think Dias has come on leaps and bounds since he arrived. He's proven pretty decent at bringing the ball forward a few times this season, and his longer passing is a bit underrated too. He was (until Akanji arrived) also the most comfortable with his weaker foot.

Aké I think is the most limited, but he is also blessed with self-awareness and almost never plays himself into trouble attempting something he can't do. That itself is a good trait to have.

Akanji looks so far to be the most comfortable using both feet, which opens up a lot of angles. He looks good carrying the ball and can also pass well between the lines. He may end up being the best overall with the ball at his feet, especially as he seems good at using his physicality to shield the ball when under pressure.

If I was John Stones I'd be very worried
I'd be more worried if I was called Laporte or Dias tbh both have not been at their best, laporte last season and Dias has not reached the heady heights of his debut season.

Though I do believe they both play better with Stones next to them, rather than together.

Then there is Ake to consider, no use being a youth CB at City for the next few years.

I'd be more worried if I was called Laporte or Dias tbh both have not been at their best, laporte last season and Dias has not reached the heady heights of his debut season.

Though I do believe they both play better with Stones next to them, rather than together.

Then there is Ake to consider, no use being a youth CB at City for the next few years.
Is there an argument/discussion to be had re Akanji and Ake being our go to pairing now? Ake hasn't let us down since he's been with us. And okay, it's early days yet for Akanji, but he looks very very promising. As you said, Eric and Ruben haven't reached the giddy heights of previous seasons so far in this campaign. And unfortunately, John is prone to picking up injuries.

*awaits incoming*

I don’t know how our scouting team managed to find this guy flying low under the radar but I’m glad they did. He looks to be an exceptional player - a fearless defender and totally comfortable on the ball. He is an inspired signing by the Club and I can honestly see him starting a lot of games for us.

Is there an argument/discussion to be had re Akanji and Ake being our go to pairing now? Ake hasn't let us down since he's been with us. And okay, it's early days yet for Akanji, but he looks very very promising. As you said, Eric and Ruben haven't reached the giddy heights of previous seasons so far in this campaign. And unfortunately, John is prone to picking up injuries.

*awaits incoming*
They were brilliant in the first half v the rags, I can't really say they were at fault for the goals in the 2nd half either tbh. Ake brought the ball out with ease from defence, as did Akanji.

I am really liking Akanji, he has shown he has the lot, and none of his supposed faults have reared their head, still, early days but a very, very good start.

If we had to balance the books, I'd look to sell Laporte, who it was rumoured wanted to leave.

I still think Stones is the best CB at the club, injuries are forever his problem.

Ake and Akanji isn't as scary a thought as some would think right about now.

I don’t know how our scouting team managed to find this guy flying low under the radar but I’m glad they did. He looks to be an exceptional player - a fearless defender and totally comfortable on the ball. He is an inspired signing by the Club and I can honestly see him starting a lot of games for us.
The fact we have two ex-Dortmund players might have helped, and the fact we have also played Dortmund a few times in the champions league as well.

He was their first-choice CB until he refused to sign a new contract.

Though it has to be said, he didn't look this good at Dortmund, which makes the 15m spent even better.

Now let's go get another Dortmund player in the summer :)

Ake for me is the most improved player at the club, was not his biggest fan and would have been happy to see him leave but this season he has grown hugely in stature and quality, he has become a leader and with his current form , has to be first choice at CB.
Stones is first choice. Dias second.

Stones is first choice. Dias second.
opinions....

Dias is a superb leader but as a player his standards have dropped from his incredible first season, the competition at CB will push him and we all benefit because of it.

Stones is a superb CB but sadly a sick note.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.