25 | Manuel Akanji - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had a great start to his city career but it's disrespectful to Dias (who was a monster in his first season - with no injuries) to say he's better than him.
I think we have options now. Depending on what sort of game we are playing, who we are playing against, what the team needs in particular moments. Could see Akanji playing home CL knockout games while Dias comes in for away games (for instance). In the same way we don't have a "first choice" front three, could see us going that way in the defence.

Commanding. Big. Quick. Strong. Great defender!? ... Proper centre half. Looks our best centre half now and I thought he looked like peak Vinnie myself at times. Class

It's his composure on the ball too. Just makes it look effortless. Under pressure can pick the right pass then move to offer himself for the ball back. Passes forwards whenever he can. He stepped forwards to great effect as well, and Ake did similarly not long afterwards as the rags looked to mark the passing options. Akanji, Laporte, Dias, Stones, Ake gives us so many great options defensively.

looking at Purchase of the Season, >0 to £20m category ?
(Haaland has the awards cleaned up)

personally thought he started the season quite slowly, but how quick has he settled?! looked like Vinny on a number of occasions yesterday

He's had a great start to his city career but it's disrespectful to Dias (who was a monster in his first season - with no injuries) to say he's better than him.

I like what I see but he needs to do this game after game, particularly when the real pressure is on from Jan - May.

Obviously I want him to and he's a brilliant addition, I just hate how fickle everybody is about our other CBs who've helped us to win so many trophies and are still absolutely top class.
There isn't a City CB who shouldn't command wholehearted respect from City fans - they have got their noses at the sharp end of things, the thin blue line, and although there isn't a footballer earning a crust in the PL who hasn't made a mistake and cost a goal, our CBs, Stonesy, Ruben, Nathan, Aymeric and Manny are all solid footballers and I wouldn't lose a second of well-deserved sleep with any two of them starting a game.

Looks like he has been with us for years, another great singing who will only improve.

Very impressive so far.

Commanding. Big. Quick. Strong. Great defender!? ... Proper centre half. Looks our best centre half now and I thought he looked like peak Vinnie myself at times. Class
He needs to go up another level(and stay there) to be compared to Vinny, far too early to compare Akanji to Komps just yet. He looks top class thus far though.
I’ve not really noticed his defending yet as he’s not needed to do much of it.

He‘s been far better on the ball than Vinny was so far though!
Hmm, not having that Alan. Before his bad injury many pundits were saying Kompany was the best in the world, i couldn't disagree because he was, imo.

It's his composure on the ball too. Just makes it look effortless. Under pressure can pick the right pass then move to offer himself for the ball back. Passes forwards whenever he can. He stepped forwards to great effect as well, and Ake did similarly not long afterwards as the rags looked to mark the passing options. Akanji, Laporte, Dias, Stones, Ake gives us so many great options defensively.

Yea bang on. Brought the ball forward a few times and like you say offered himself as an option after passing it. Really does look a great asset for us, with his ability to build play and attack from the back. Feels like we've struck gold again

He needs to go up another level(and stay there) to be compared to Vinny, far too early to compare Akanji to Komps just yet. He looks top class thus far thought

Hmm, not having that Alan. Before his bad injury many pundits were saying Kompany was the best in the world, i couldn't disagree because he was, imo.
Fair enough. I didn’t think he was brilliant on the ball. I’m not suggesting he was bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.