25 | Manuel Akanji - 2023/24

We are too clunky with him moving into central midfield - Stones does an incredibly hard job so well. Would rather not do this going forward...

Akanji shouldn't be playing the stones role. He doesn't do it effectively enough to be worthwhile and it means he's not on the cover which is his greatest attribute. However. Much like alvarez playing in midfield, it's not his fault, peps asking him to do it. Despite the role not suiting him still felt he played well today, one of the few.

What did he do wrong tonight?

I thought he played perfectly fine.
What did he add though? He is way too slow of thought for me. At one point Doku played a lovely slide rule pass into the box. You want de Bruyne or Foden on it but it was Akanji and the move ended there. There were worst players than him but he just is not suited to that role for me. He was better when Chelsea took their dangerous players off and tried to shut up shop and he dropped back into defence.

I think we play better when he doesn’t play.

What did he add though? He is way too slow of thought for me. At one point Doku played a lovely slide rule pass into the box. You want de Bruyne or Foden on it but it was Akanji and the move ended there. There were worst players than him but he just is not suited to that role for me. He was better when Chelsea took their dangerous players off and tried to shut up shop and he dropped back into defence.

I think we play better when he doesn’t play.
He's a center-back being asked to play center midfielder... that's on Pep.

When you consider that, he played great IMO.

Akanji shouldn't be playing the stones role. He doesn't do it effectively enough to be worthwhile and it means he's not on the cover which is his greatest attribute. However. Much like alvarez playing in midfield, it's not his fault, peps asking him to do it. Despite the role not suiting him still felt he played well today, one of the few.
Playing him there and having Dias the last man in a ridiculously high line is suicide. Make it make sense. Akanji is great as the last man.

If pep continues these selections and tactics v spurs, arsenal, liverpool we will get dicked.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.