25 | Manuel Akanji - 2023/24

What did he add though? He is way too slow of thought for me. At one point Doku played a lovely slide rule pass into the box. You want de Bruyne or Foden on it but it was Akanji and the move ended there. There were worst players than him but he just is not suited to that role for me. He was better when Chelsea took their dangerous players off and tried to shut up shop and he dropped back into defence.

I think we play better when he doesn’t play.
His best performances came when stones filled in next to Rodri and Akanji played left or right in place of walker or Ake. He is superb at defending the channels as part of a 3.

Akanji Dias Ake
Stones Rodri

or

walker Dias Akanji
Stones Rodri

What did he add though? He is way too slow of thought for me. At one point Doku played a lovely slide rule pass into the box. You want de Bruyne or Foden on it but it was Akanji and the move ended there. There were worst players than him but he just is not suited to that role for me. He was better when Chelsea took their dangerous players off and tried to shut up shop and he dropped back into defence.

I think we play better when he doesn’t play.
What did Walker add?!

Pep had it 100% spot-on playing Akanji at RB in the Cl final last season. At the least, he's more comfortable on the ball than Walker is and can play a ball like he did into Bernardo leading to the goal in the final; Walker isn't even a consistent defender anymore. The only reason he's playing anymore is because he got a new contract.

What did Walker add?!

Pep had it 100% spot-on playing Akanji at RB in the Cl final last season. At the least, he's more comfortable on the ball than Walker is and can play a ball like he did into Bernardo in the final; Walker isn't even a consistent defender anymore. The only reason he's playing anymore is because he got a new contract.
Nothing. He was shit and needs dropping. I’d take Akanji over Walker.

I just don’t want him in midfield. Yes that pass was great in the CL final but I haven’t seen once since.

We should have let Walker go.

p had it 100% spot-on playing Akanji at RB in the Cl final last season. At the least, he's more comfortable on the ball than Walker is and can play a ball like he did into Bernardo leading to the goal in the final; Walker isn't even a consistent defender anymore. The only reason he's playing anymore is because he got a new contract.
I would not use CL final as an example. Akanji almost gifted Inter a goal.

His best performances came when stones filled in next to Rodri and Akanji played left or right in place of walker or Ake. He is superb at defending the channels as part of a 3.

Akanji Dias Ake
Stones Rodri

or

walker Dias Akanji
Stones Rodri
Agree. He can’t do what Stones does however

Akanji Dias Ake
Stones Rodri

or

walker Dias Akanji
Stones Rodri
Is Dias playing well enough to be nailed on starter? I thought he was awful today. Jackson had the measure of him today. I think he has been poor all season bar the odd game.

No idea why he's moving into midfield. Never seems quite aware of surrounding players, struggles to receive on the half turn, and lacks passing ability to link midfield and attacking players.

Pray today was the final experiment by Pep with this double pivot between Rodri and Akanji. Stones and (to lesser extent) Rico Lewis play this double pivot far better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.