25 | Manuel Akanji - 2023/24

Don't know what you didn't see last night he was excellent, maybe not quite Stones, but very good last night and most games.
All I saw was him giving it away needlessly when we had men committed -- leaving us wide open to dangerous counter attacks that Walker continuously had to cover for -- and slowing down previously zippy moves because he had to take two touches to bring the ball under control. He's an excellent defender who can step into midfield comfortably but he's not even a decent midfielder outright, especially not when he has to string moves together 30 yards from the Madrid goal. Clearly Stones wasn't fully fit, which is why Pep didn't start him, but I think Lewis would have been far better suited last night and we might have won the game with him instead. Never mind.

All I saw was him giving it away needlessly when we had men committed -- leaving us wide open to dangerous counter attacks that Walker continuously had to cover for -- and slowing down previously zippy moves because he had to take two touches to bring the ball under control. He's an excellent defender who can step into midfield comfortably but he's not even a decent midfielder outright, especially not when he has to string moves together 30 yards from the Madrid goal. Clearly Stones wasn't fully fit, which is why Pep didn't start him, but I think Lewis would have been far better suited last night and we might have won the game with him instead. Never mind.
You missed his linking with Rodri, his underlapping runs into the box, him using his pace to cover some of their attempted breaks then?

In the absence of Ake, this guy is reliable most of the time, and I think the left side of defence is really solid now, at least compared to recent years. Most teams struggle in the left defence these days. My main concern is that the right side relies so much on Walker, who is getting on in years, but good for another year or two when fit. I think Stones and Lewis are evolving into midfielders, no bad thing, but recruiting a back-up for Kyle in the right back role should be a priority, along with a Rodrigo clone in central midfield.

What a steal. The only reliable defender this season (Gvardiol is having a great last two months too). Stones plays 1 match and is injured the next 5, Ake similar, Walker makes too many mistakes, Ruben has had his worst season individually.

But Akanaji is always reliable, great passer, incredible physique and focused all the time. Love him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.