25 | Manuel Akanji - 2023/24

I dont think the Stones hybrid role works anywhere as good without Gundogan also in the side.
We may want it back and Stones being back to his best in that role, but imo it gave us proper midfield control and numbers advantage too and immense quality difference because of the Stones-Rodri-gundo-KDB quartet plus the two wingers holding the line Grealish-Mahrez and rarely losing the ball on the wing.

what Akanji doing in this role not sure. imo Lewis more suited to it but he simply does not have any strength and pushed off the ball so easily. Stones aint reliable fitness wise imo anymore. we wont see him start 5 games in a row especially now when games coming every 3 days. even if he starts 3 in a row then he will be out for 4-5 weeks after that.

now we have Doku-Foden on wings, who lose the ball a bit more, no Gundogan but Alvarez who also loses the ball quite a bit, or Kovacic who isnt really fit to replace Gundo in any form, KDB a year older etc.

Is Dias playing well enough to be nailed on starter? I thought he was awful today. Jackson had the measure of him today. I think he has been poor all season bar the odd game.
Yes

If you have been to the stands it is easier to find out why. Dias is the only City defender who is capable of giving orders and instructions. The others rarely talk!

Perhaps it is language issue or it is just personal style. Akanji and Stones are not commander in their previous teams/ national team. You have to have at least one defender(or keeper) comfortable of giving orders. Even though it might not be the best decision.

Yes

If you have been to the stands it is easier to find out why. Dias is the only City defender who is capable of giving orders and instructions. The others rarely talk!

Perhaps it is language issue or it is just personal style. Akanji and Stones are not commander in their previous teams/ national team. You have to have at least one defender(or keeper) comfortable of giving orders. Even though it might not be the best decision.
Fair enough but he needs to up his game. He and Walker were absolute tosh today.

Not suited to stepping in to midfield as too slow and cumbersome on the ball, also doesn’t get back in to position quick enough. Not sure why we are persisting playing him this role.

Yes

I know this is the Akanji pages but I think this is spot on about Dias. He’s a commander out there on the field even if he isn’t the best player. We have a back line with such a widely varied skill set but it seems like injuries have never really allowed us to get the best possible combination. I actually wonder if Ake would be better at the Stones role, maybe not as dynamic but I feel like he’s more settled than Akanji and slightly more skilled offensively. ( I think Gvardiol also has the skill set but needs more time and I think Pep will probably be gone by then.) And then that allows you to use Akanji in a more traditional role where his speed is also an advantage. I also fully acknowledge I’m not Pep and he’s surely thought of and discarded any thoughts I have.

Yes

100% he is our leader, he by his standards has had an average season but his leadership is outstanding.

one instance in the second half had my jaw on the floor. he let Jackson run off him, not tracking him AT ALL, thinking he must be offside, not realizing dias was keeping him way on behind him. just horrific defensive awareness. stones role or not his fundamentals of defending are pathetic

Yes

He'd want to give a few orders to himself.

Manu is clearly not suited to the role of going into midfield to build up our play. I think it's not about him being a poor player - in fact last year he was outstanding as a pure defender both in central positions and covering right back when Walker was dropped - it's more about clarity of mind, he is obviously over thinking. Instinct like muscle memory becomes second nature and he seems to be worrying where he should move to and how he needs to move the ball on. There is no doubt we are not as good at keeping clean sheets and too many times yesterday as they attacked we were left with Walker, Manu and Nathan out of position and struggling to get back.

If you want to persist with him in this role you need the other three defenders not aimlessly bombing forward. Walker always had his pace to recover but recently to me he seems to have lost something in terms of pure defending. He is allowing players to get into dangerous positions too easily.

It is not a disaster to not win and it was important to get the draw but as we move forward I hope Pep looks at a more solid back four with Johnny the only one capable of the hybrid role. Also Erling will not have many days like yesterday.

On a separate note I think we saw how important having players who can keep the ball in tight areas is. We missed Jack and Bernie from the start yesterday. I really hope the injury is not too serious because despite having so many attempts we seemed to not have the usual control at times and often lost the ball for a quick counter.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.