#26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I'm not saying he had a great game tonight; a lot of the criticisms of him are valid; but in fairness to him I'll point out a few good things he did tonight for the sake of balance:

Played a good role in the opener.
Had the fullback on his arse throughout much of the 1st half.
Linked up excellently with Foden in the 1st half.
Held the ball well under the early pressure.
Good corners.
Didn't shirk defensive duties all night.
Almost scored a nice goal, despite Hinchliffe's protests.
Unlucky with an offside goal contribution.

Ok nothing major and I wasn't best impressed with what I felt was an arrogant performance in the 2nd half. But opinion of him is only going to snowball into hate if we can't acknowledge the things he does right (same for any City player as far as I'm concerned).
I hear what you are saying he had that full back on toast at times tonight and if one of them moments came off this thread would have a different take on his performance. That cannot mask his contribution when the game was in the balance and his failure to grasp what was needed in the circumstances Bernarbe understood that from the moment he came on.

I hear what you are saying he had that full back on toast at times tonight and if one of them moments came off this thread would have a different take on his performance. That cannot mask his contribution when the game was in the balance and his failure to grasp what was needed in the circumstances Bernarbe understood that from the moment he came on.
Yeah I don't disagree. I'm just providing another perspective for the fairness of it :).

When he comes inside on his left into the penalty box and you think curl the ball into the top corner, but he doesn’t he dribbles further into the box and opposition are about to close him down and there are two of our players square to him to take the pass and yet he now decides to shoot as a defensive player is about one foot away and blocks the ball. Seen this so many times from Mahrez. Even if the first defender doesn’t block his shot there are about another two plus a keeper ready to block his shot. He doesn’t even disguise his shot.

Patience wearing thin for me, he was barely getting past league 1 fullbacks last night if at all. I think he is clearly missing a lot of confidence but there is just no chance that Pep is going to play him for 5+ games in a row and when he comes off the bench he has nothing about him where you think he can make an impact really with pace or just driving at a defence.

I don't think he is here next summer.

Patience wearing thin for me, he was barely getting past league 1 fullbacks last night if at all. I think he is clearly missing a lot of confidence but there is just no chance that Pep is going to play him for 5+ games in a row and when he comes off the bench he has nothing about him where you think he can make an impact really with pace or just driving at a defence.

We're stuck with him Im afraid. We should have been signing a young hungry winger not this half arsed luxury. Not a chance we can unload him unless we take a massive hit.

You certainly didn't watch the same game I did. He passed them practically every time.

Most will disagree, but I thought he was decent last night and was brimming with confidence

His first touch, dribbling, burst of speed, shooting and what I like the most, his weight of passing is top class.

Sadly he seems to lack the football brain and mentality to succed in a cohesive unit like us were its more playmakers and more patterns than it was in Leicester.

Think he will go down similiarly to the likes of Torres or Shevchenko in Chelsea, were we will see clips of him in 10 years time from his time here, the goal vs chelsea, his incredible goal vs brighton etc, and say he was a underrated player, but the truth is those moments were all he had and he really was underwhelming

He was dreadful and predictable last night, i've no idea why Pep persist with him. I thought he was a good signing at the time, especially to unpick locked defences with his trickery... problem is that everyone knows what he's doing apart from the odd occasion like the right footed pass from the by-line but it's so rare that his team mates don't know it and don't make the run.

He needs to go

Main problem was he was getting past them then went past them again and again then his decision making was poor that Mahrez and isn’t on Peps list of first in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.