26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't really do much in the first half because we'd clearly identified AWB as the weakness in United's defence and focused all our efforts on messing him around. Mahrez did have that shot De Gea saved at 2-1, which would have buried them before half-time.

Got much more involved in the second half and took both his goals really well. Could just be a purple patch, but I reckon if he carries on like this into next season he could be within a shot of notching up 100 City goals before he leaves - not something to be taken lightly at all.
spot on - they targetted AWB as he is a big weakness. It's OK to lose the ball when attacking him as if he does win it, he is going to do fuck all with it as he can't pass wind.

AWB was absolutely shredded by Cancelo, Grealish, Bernardo, felt a bit sorry for him (but not that much) as he was not helped by the fact that the midfield cover in front of him was non-existant

spot on - they targetted AWB as he is a big weakness. It's OK to lose the ball when attacking him as if he does win it, he is going to do fuck all with it as he can't pass wind.

AWB was absolutely shredded by Cancelo, Grealish, Bernardo, felt a bit sorry for him (but not that much) as he was not helped by the fact that the midfield cover in front of him was non-existant

Their only goal came when Bissaka recovered the ball after a bad pass from Grealish and then made a nice chipped pass to Fred

People saying he was anonymous/shirking in the first half need to realise that if he lost patience and went looking for the ball he’d have been hauled off at HT for not doing his role. He deserved the 2 goals for putting the team first, showing patience/discipline in maintaining width whilst the entire game was being played on the opposite side. He’s phenomenal and has totally bought into the team ethos. He’s good enough to demand that a team be all about him, but like all of our other stars, he doesn’t. Worth his weight in gold and we’re lucky to have him.

Last edited:
Sticking my neck out here, it's a Riyad Mahrez goal that is going to win us the Premiership this year.

Mahrez has been outstanding the last 3 months, probably should have started against Spurs. He's been a very good signing. Just a year ago, many fans didn't think so. He proved them wrong.

That said, I'd be surprised if he managed to maintain that level until the end. I think he might struggle in April and May, but less so than Salah and Mane, who have played a lot more minutes than him. I think we are likely to finish the season with Grealish, Foden and Jesus/Sterling as our front 3. Will be very happy if Mahrez proves me wrong and bangs 33 goals (more than Sergio ever scored for us over a season!).

Last edited:
Mahrez has been outstanding the last 3 months, probably should have started against Spurs. He's been a very good signing. Just a year ago, many fans didn't think so. He proved them wrong.

That said, I'd be surprised if he managed to maintain that level until the end. I think he might struggle in April and May, but less so than Salah and Mane, who have played a lot more minutes than him. I think we are likely to finish the season with Grealish, Foden and Jesus/Sterling as our front 3. Will be very happy if Mahrez proves me wrong and bangs 33 goals (more than Sergio ever scored for us over a season!).

He’s been the top goalscorer AND the top << assister >> of the team since January 2021. Last year, he’s been the best player of the team in the Champions League run. Why would he struggle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.