26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s been the top goalscorer AND the top << assister >> of the team since January 2021. Last year, he’s been the best player of the team in the Champions League run. Why would he struggle ?

It's hard to maintain such a rich vein of (goalscoring) form. Mahrez has never been as productive as over the last 3 months. Gundogan was exceptional for 2-3 months last season in terms of scoring, but his form dipped in April and May. Something similar may happen to Mahrez.

You are right that Mahrez has been great since February last year. Even in February 2021, there were people writing him off as an expensive flop. I remember because I defended him back then. But I remember also that Mahrez didn't start this season as one of the first names on the team sheet. Pep played without him at Stamford Bridge and Anfield. I hope Mahrez will maintain his current form (and I will be happy for him if he breaks Sergio's record for most goals over a season), but I expect that his goalscoring form may dip a bit come April and especially May. Time will tell, let's see what happens.

In a team where everyone else seems up and down either through form (KDB, Sterling) or maybe leaving (Bernardo, Sterling) or injury (KDB, Grealish, Jesus) - Mahrez is just there, every week, consistently delivering moments of game winning excellence.

Riyad almost sings when he gives an interview, he talks like he plays football, eloquently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.