26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t actually disagree with much of that, to be honest, but it still doesn’t excuse that decision-making at the end. The disgust with that and the gratitude for his other contributions aren’t mutually exclusive.
I don't think his decision making was the problem, what he wanted to do was on, it was just poor execution. A common theme throughout the game and indeed the season.

I don't think his decision making was the problem, what he wanted to do was on, it was just poor execution. A common theme throughout the game and indeed the season.
I do think it was poor decision-making as the much easier (and near 100% certain winning goal) was to play a 5 yard pass to Foden’s onside left boot—with only grass and air between it and the net—something I expect any footballer in the league, whether on Norwich’s bench, or starting for us, to be able to execute perfectly, so I imagine Mahrez could have managed it.

5-CBF40-E5-5-B87-44-CF-87-CB-B4-BF87764-F6-A.jpg

No way Mahrez would be passing that at the end to Foden. No way any attacker in the world is passing that in the position he was in. Maybe it should have been passed but it’s just not the done thing.

I remember 50k+ groaning at David Silva every other week for not shooting when he was in the position too then expect Mahrez to pass that.

Just poor execution in the end but the bloke has turned up time and time again so far this season so deserves some leeway IMO.

He was a bit greedy and did not execute well the last shot.
But TBH I blame it partly on Pep.
How on earth did he not take Jesus immediately off when he refused to pull back pass to Kev the second time? Very bad display of disciplinary and it affected the team in a bad way.
Cancelo Grealish and Mahrez all showed little greedy afterwards.

I do think it was poor decision-making as the much easier (and near 100% certain winning goal) was to play a 5 yard pass to Foden’s onside left boot—with only grass and air between it and the net—something I expect any footballer in the league, whether on Norwich’s bench, or starting for us, to be able to execute perfectly, so I imagine Mahrez could have managed it.

5-CBF40-E5-5-B87-44-CF-87-CB-B4-BF87764-F6-A.jpg
This is a very telling picture. Yes he's scored a lot of goals this season but this was a golden opportunity to put Liverpool in the rear view. Too greedy by far, I do wonder when he doesn't start if he feels he has to come on and score - it is about team first and Phil, Kev's and Peps reaction says it all.

The shot takes a big deflection from matip, without that who knows if it was going in. Was good defending it was hardly a sitter
Def not a sitter. I think it would have gone over anyway, technique was all wrong - the problem was the simple five yard pass to Phil for the tap in was on. Anyway I'm sure he will score or create an important goal in the last 8 to 12 games left. He's had a really decent season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.