26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
MotM KDB missed a chance from much closer earlier in the game.

Riyad isn't being greedy; he has the goal in his sights and the chip is very much on for him so that's what he was focussed on. Unfortunately, he didn't execute. Just one of several reasons why City did not win.
I thought there was an opportunity to slide it into an open Phil for a better chance. But he miscontrolled with his first touch and that opportunity was gone.

I'm okay with his decision after that.

I thought there was an opportunity to slide it into an open Phil for a better chance. But he miscontrolled with his first touch and that opportunity was gone.

I'm okay with his decision after that.
He actually still could have slipped Phil in — this frame is taken on the touch *after* the miss control. He could have also just swept the ball in to the far corner. But he didn’t look up and decided to go for the literal most difficult finish available in that moment.

5-CBF40-E5-5-B87-44-CF-87-CB-B4-BF87764-F6-A.jpg

He actually still could have slipped Phil in — this frame is taken on the touch *after* the miss control. He could have also just swept the ball in to the far corner. But he didn’t look up and decided to go for the literal most difficult finish available in that moment.

5-CBF40-E5-5-B87-44-CF-87-CB-B4-BF87764-F6-A.jpg
I think the opportunity to pass had gone after his control let him down ,the still above is a bit misleading.
Not sure the way the ball ended up he could generate enough power to bend the ball round the keeper into the corner either. In the end he done the right thing but sadly his effort joined his penalty at Klanfield a few years back on its journey out of the galaxy. A bit of bad luck really for both him and us. He also failed to get the rub of the green earlier when an excellent freekick hit the wrong side of the post. Not his day.

I think the opportunity to pass had gone after his control let him down ,the still above is a bit misleading.
Not sure the way the ball ended up he could generate enough power to bend the ball round the keeper into the corner either. In the end he done the right thing but sadly his effort joined his penalty at Klanfield a few years back on its journey out of the galaxy. A bit of bad luck really for both him and us. He also failed to get the rub of the green earlier when an excellent freekick hit the wrong side of the post. Not his day.
Sorry, I very much disagree.

Here is a frame from just before he puts it in to the stands.

Are you arguing that from that position (and body orientation to the ball) he can get his boot behind and under the ball to chip it in to the row M (red), but *can’t* get it to the side to play one of the simplest 8 yard passes a footballer could be called upon to make (yellow)?

I will say I have made similar passes from worse positions (back when I played) and I wasn’t getting paid over 100k a week to do it in high pressure situations.

He could have also just simply passed it in to the far post, with Phil running in to ensure it went in.

9-EB05-C1-D-BED0-42-AE-B0-DD-ECD6-AFA1-D233.jpg

Sorry, I very much disagree.

Here is a frame from just before he puts it in to the stands.

Are you arguing that from that position (and body orientation to the ball) he can get his boot behind and under the ball to chip it in to the row M (red), but *can’t* get it to the side to play one of the simplest 8 yard passes a footballer could be called upon to make (yellow)?

I will say I have made similar passes from worse positions (back when I played) and I wasn’t getting paid over 100k a week to do it in high pressure situations.

He could have also just simply passed it in to the far post, with Phil running in to ensure it went in.

9-EB05-C1-D-BED0-42-AE-B0-DD-ECD6-AFA1-D233.jpg
It’s easy to say that with it froze like it is here. Bit different for the player at full speed who’d made space for the chip. It was very much on especially for someone with his class. Unfortunately the execution was horrendous. He seems to struggle to keep shots down against that lot.

It’s easy to say that with it froze like it is here. Bit different for the player at full speed who’d made space for the chip. It was very much on especially for someone with his class. Unfortunately the execution was horrendous. He seems to struggle to keep shots down against that lot.
Well, I have watched the full sequence quite a few times (to capture the frames) and I agree with Phil and Kev’s reactions to his decision-making.

EDIT: here’s a GIF of the sequence. It was more difficult to not score than score.

ezgif-3-9da40407ce.gif

Well, I have watched the full sequence quite a few times (to capture the frames) and I agree with Phil and Kev’s reactions to his decision-making.

EDIT: here’s a GIF of the sequence. It was more difficult to not score than score.

ezgif-3-9da40407ce.gif
In hindsight I agree a pass was the better option. Someone who’s been bagging for fun and has made the yard for what is a great chance on his sweet left peg probably shoots 9/10 though. Best attacker in the league on the other team certainly would have. Terrible finish though unfortunately.

We could do it to death, but he’s been great this season, more than played his part in us being top. No complaints from me, plenty of other missed chances to stew about (as fucking per usual).

We could do it to death, but he’s been great this season, more than played his part in us being top. No complaints from me, plenty of other missed chances to stew about (as fucking per usual).
Yeah I feel like if it happened in the 30th minute too we'd have been a bit less bothered. It's very disappointing but we need to let it be and move on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.