26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of Mahrez in this version of Pep's City?

What does he do that Bernardo, Fodne or Alvarez can't?

I realise this sounds overly critical of Mahrez himself, but I mean it more to do with trying to understand what role he's playing in the squad and what Pep wanted from him when he came on today.
The only thing/action I can think of that he does better than the others from that position is the out-to-in run that he did where he should have scored the one on one v Forest. He looks for this movement far more than the other options, but we didn’t seem to be looking for that yesterday, so in terms of that particular game… nothing. Off the top of my head that is the only difference he offers.

And neither did these two do anything useful with the more substantial time that they had. What were you expecting from Pep's masterclass of a substitution giving him 17 minutes to produce something when he was never been a great sub player anyway.

Foden is of course the City Golden Boy so he is naturally immune whatever form he is in. I'll excuse Bernardo's performance on a position he has never been competent in. Unfortunately for Mahrez, Ilkay is now captain and club favourite plus Gabby left so he is the only Boo Boy left in the squad.

After 2 seasons of high level play and becoming an integral part to our success in the PL and especially the CL, you'd think some fans could learn to be just a little grateful of his contributions. These are from the same brilliant people who believe KDB was the best player in the season we won PL and reach CL final while Gundogan and Mahrez were just accessories and competent assistants.

Mahrez has started slow for 3 years now and in the last 2 worked his way to a high level as the season went on. I think he'll improve as this season goes along as well.

Mahrez hasn't played well this entire calendar year. He's been way off it. His goals from penalties seem to mask his poor performances. At the end of last season he missed that penalty v West Ham and was then dreadful against Villa.

He's had a full pre season and has looked totally off it. There's no justification for having him anywhere near the team at present.

Been a very important member of the squad for years, but I don’t think he offers anything different than what Bernardo/Foden/Alvarez already have. Been poor for about 6 months straight now. Lacks pace, is too predictable and usually goes backwards or sideways. Might be low on confidence at the moment, but he’s been off it for some time now

He has been a very good signing but I have to say I was amazed at the club offering him an extension and of the size they did, early days in the season but he looks very off the pace at this time.

Mahrez hasn't played well this entire calendar year. He's been way off it. His goals from penalties seem to mask his poor performances. At the end of last season he missed that penalty v West Ham and was then dreadful against Villa.

He's had a full pre season and has looked totally off it. There's no justification for having him anywhere near the team at present.
Mahrez (who is world class in my view) has too many things going on off the field with his hedonistic lifestyle and has lost his focus. Pep (who obviously is aware of this) needs to get a grip on him. I am one of his fans but I think the next six months will be make or break for his time at City.

Mahrez never does well from the bench. Not a criticism but I can't remember him changing a game. He is always better when he starts the game. Alvarez was the sub we should have made or Palmer.

Mahrez (who is world class in my view) has too many things going on off the field with his hedonistic lifestyle and has lost his focus. Pep (who obviously is aware of this) needs to get a grip on him. I am one of his fans but I think the next six months will be make or break for his time at City.
He was a bit arrogant when interviewed by French media early this year. Not that humble Riyad I used to know. If he still wants to keep his world-class level for the rest of his career he should change his attitude and way of living. He's not a young star anymore, there isn't much time left for him.

What stuff is going on off the field?

Never took to him since he signed, best first touch I have ever seen but seems to play for himself instead of the team. I can't believe with gave him a new contract and I hope he is not here for the next 3 years. For me he slows us down in attack, he constantly stops and passes back or cuts inside and blasts one over. Think we could find a lot better option as a wide player. Some of this maybe my bias but I said before the start of the season that out of Sterling, Jesus and him he was the one I was happy to see leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.