26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn’t create anything for anyone. The only chance Haaland has of getting regular assists off Mahrez is if he starts playing at RB. He will get plenty of ball off Mahrez then.
In his defence Pep clearly instructs our wide players to just knock the ball back rather than risk losing possession by taking on the defender. Its pretty monotonous.

Starting to do my head in this season Riyad, I think its time to give Palmer his minutes until he bucks his ideas up. Been poor since the start of the season and he's had plenty of time to get into rhythm now. Could do with the kick up the arse as we will need his fresh legs second half of the season after Qatar.

Do you not think though that with his record he should just say “look lads, I’ve had my turn and it’s not worked out, it’s someone else’s go?” He won’t do it though because he plays for himself. He’s stood out wide doing absolutely nothing to influence games. He isn’t scoring and he isn’t assisting and for me, he sees pens as his get out of jail free card. It worked for him last season. It isn’t this.
No. Absolutely not. You want players willing to step up and have the balls to take one even after he's just missed the last 2. You get no personal glory from scoring penalties, everybody expects you to score, you can only fail.

Pep chooses the penalty takers, he's decided Mahrez is still second best option, I'd be disappointed if any player would hide away from taking one, it shows a weak mentality.

Sterling is probably the worst penalty taker in terms of technique I've ever seen from a professional footballer but I always admired his willingness and mental strength to continually want to take them.

In his defence Pep clearly instructs our wide players to just knock the ball back rather than risk losing possession by taking on the defender. Its pretty monotonous.
I accept that our wide men are clearly instructed to keep the ball and it affects them all to a certain degree. That being said, Mahrez takes it to a whole other level. He is ultra-passive.

Pep chooses the penalty takers, he's decided Mahrez is still second best option, I'd be disappointed if any player would hide away from taking one, it shows a weak mentality.

Does he? Pep says he doesn't care who takes them and lets the players decide. My interpretation is that Mahrez will kick up a fuss if he's not allowed to take them, whereas Gundo (who's definitely a better taker) probably doesn't see it as something worth arguing over, so they let Riyad have them to avoid the drama.

No. Absolutely not. You want players willing to step up and have the balls to take one even after he's just missed the last 2. You get no personal glory from scoring penalties, everybody expects you to score, you can only fail.

Sterling is probably the worst penalty taker in terms of technique I've ever seen from a professional footballer but I always admired his willingness and mental strength to continually want to take them.
I don't know why we ever took them off Gundo after he missed one penalty. He's the penalty taker for the German national team ffs! Of course now we have Erling but I always felt that Ilkay should have been on them.

Did well to win the pen, then took a shit pen, was hoping Gundog would take it when he was stood on the spot.

Apart from that offered little, which is about par for the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.