#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant again at the weekend and it got me thinking.

I was blinded by Danilo being a solid and sometimes decent attacking player but how the fuck did we get away with swapping him for Cancelo plus a few, below-market quid?!

We bought him for £60m and they bought Danilo for £34m apparently - essentially getting Cancelo for £26m!

I hope he's here for a long, long time!

Brilliant again at the weekend and it got me thinking.

I was blinded by Danilo being a solid and sometimes decent attacking player but how the fuck did we get away with swapping him for Cancelo plus a few, below-market quid?!

We bought him for £60m and they bought Danilo for £34m apparently - essentially getting Cancelo for £26m!

I hope he's here for a long, long time!
That's not how things work. He cost what we paid, £60 million. You can't just deduct the money we got for Danilo and ignore his value.

That's not how things work. He cost what we paid, £60 million. You can't just deduct the money we got for Danilo and ignore his value.

Makes it sound better, though.

Maybe the right question is how the fuck did we get Juve to pay £34m for Danilo and use that to offset against the £60m we paid for Cancelo...

Maybe the right question is how the fuck did we get Juve to pay £34m for Danilo and use that to offset against the £60m we paid for Cancelo...
I think the point is that Danilo wasn’t a £34m player. Presumably it suited to structure the deal that way. Why, I’m afraid I don’t know.
Because it looks better on both teams' accounts to do it that way (for reasons a more well versed poster than myself could explain) instead of paying 26m plus Danilo.

Both player costs were inflated too I'd imagine to take extra advantage. This is purely speculative and not quite in line with the point but I suspect without Danilo involved we would have paid 40m for Cancelo or so.

It does but its the type of move certain early leavers would pull and repeat until it becomes true.

I don't think Danilo's fee was that inflated personally, he was a very good player with pedigree and medals to back it up, we paid 30 for him which was considered reasonable by our inflated standards. I think it's only because we're used to getting under market value for players and the fact its Juve who don't pay for anything that makes the fee seem generous.

Either way, both sides were happy with the perceived inflated fees, it was clearly an accounting procedure in the same mould as the 10 million kid swap we did with them too, we can just ignore the cost, be happy we've got him here and any fee paid seems like a complete bargain right now.

He's quietly having a very good season. Only thing I'm worried about is burning him out. Off the top of my head I think he's played just about every minute in the League + Champs League so far?

He still makes the odd boneheaded play which can be frustrating but for me that comes with the territory, he's such a uniquely skilled fullback in the way Ederson is a unique keeper.

Been great this season. Wonder why zinc fallen from grace?

Cancelo's been a top 3 FB in the world this season: heavily involved in both phases of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.