#27 | João Cancelo - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t Cancelo picked in the best league players team of year?
He must be as poor as many on here say he is. Makes sense …

I just don't think he's a very good defender and have been saying so for far longer than just the defeat in Madrid. The comment below was made after the home game vs Spurs.....

Great attacking full back. Distinctly less able at the defensive aspect and spectacularly bad today. Constantly out of position, oblivious to the whereabouts of the opposition. Needs a rest after that

He's brilliant,but instead of looking for the killer ball,retaining possession too long,or trying to score from unlikely positions,he needs to keep things a bit simpler a times.

Sometimes i think he forgets he has a job to do at fullback.
Not just at times. MOST of the time. He has no interest in a simple pass back or pass forward e.t.c.

Everything he does requires an extra unnecessary. He reminds me of an ex teammate of mine in college. The simple pass was simply beneath that dude. He would not stand for it. Was a starter when we were freshmen but was a bench Super sub by the time we were Juniors. Coz he just didn't get it.

Amazing when his tricks and flicks were coming off. But Infuriating and a liability otherwise. This is Cancelo for me.

Not just at times. MOST of the time. He has no interest in a simple pass back or pass forward e.t.c.

Everything he does requires an extra unnecessary. He reminds me of an ex teammate of mine in college. The simple pass was simply beneath that dude. He would not stand for it. Was a starter when we were freshmen but was a bench Super sub by the time we were Juniors. Coz he just didn't get it.

Amazing when his tricks and flicks were coming off. But Infuriating and a liability otherwise. This is Cancelo for me.
Left Back is Cancelo's best position

Exactly why I like Cancelo. Perfect for a Pep team.

I just don't think he's a very good defender and have been saying so for far longer than just the defeat in Madrid. The comment below was made after the home game vs Spurs.....
Good enough a defender for me. But I’m not very interested in the defending abilities ever since Pep is our manager. As we defend as a team from the front. And in that Cancelo is a huge asset.

Exactly why I like Cancelo. Perfect for a Pep team.
You may have a point there. He breaks from the over conservative ball retention mode that a Pep team sometimes fosters. But he has to be more like KDB in this regard. I.e. take the risk in attempting to help the team. And not just trying to impress yourself with fancy moves.

Which it often feels like that's what he is doing :(

I should imagine every player in Peps mind could be better. People need to look at the strengths they bring rather than concentrate on perceived weakness.
I see him tackle with the wrong leg at times, perhaps take the harder passing option, shoot when he shouldn't, but Pep would find it difficult to replace him with a player matching his offensive quality who didn't have weaknesses.

I should imagine every player in Peps mind could be better. People need to look at the strengths they bring rather than concentrate on perceived weakness.
I see him tackle with the wrong leg at times, perhaps take the harder passing option, shoot when he shouldn't, but Pep would find it difficult to replace him with a player matching his offensive quality who didn't have weaknesses.
That's the straightforward truth of it. Probably same goes for most of our squad.

For me personally, João’s weaknesses are more frustrating than some other players’ because they’re just so avoidable

I don’t get frustrated when Zinchenko is beaten for pace by a much quicker player, because as long as he’s in the right place and trying to do the right thing there’s not much else he can do about it

I get much more frustrated when Cancelo beats his man, plays a perfect one-two to get into the box and then inexplicably chooses to lash it into the stand instead of rolling the ball across the box for a tap-in

He should be on 20 assists a season. He’s that talented. That’s the source of the frustration

For me personally, João’s weaknesses are more frustrating than some other players’ because they’re just so avoidable

I don’t get frustrated when Zinchenko is beaten for pace by a much quicker player, because as long as he’s in the right place and trying to do the right thing there’s not much else he can do about it

I get much more frustrated when Cancelo beats his man, plays a perfect one-two to get into the box and then inexplicably chooses to lash it into the stand instead of rolling the ball across the box for a tap-in

He should be on 20 assists a season. He’s that talented. That’s the source of the frustration
This. Plus he's sometimes way too careless. He'll often make an inexplicable, no pressure situation, pass that ends up right to the feet of an attacker. Unfortunately, this isn't a KDB sort of give-away - attempting some high reward forward pass that doesn't work out with little drawback - it's often a square ball with extreme danger.

At any rate - I love Joao - and am pleased whenever he's in our teamsheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.