27 | Matheus Nunes - 2024/25

Looked rather hesitant and colourless in the early matches, but started to develop in the later matches in which he was given minutes. I think there's quite a skilful player there, though he'll obviously never be a game changer. Question is, how many minutes can Pep give him, realistically?
Midfield, whether deep lying or forward lying (I avoid the terms “attacking” and “defensive” midfielders): Rod, Gundo, Kova, McAtee, Kev, Bernardo (potentially), Phil (!! potentially). Even Johnny, on occasions. I just don't really see where you're going to fit Nunes into that, unless we get a horrendous run of injuries. Pep doesn't half love his midfielders, though…

I think last year's signings of Doku, Kovacic and Nunes were all based on teams going to man to man against us all over the pitch. All 3 of them can receive the ball and beat their player to break the press.

However, I think particular to Nunes is that he maybe isn't quite good enough at other parts of how City play. So if a team is going 1v1 then he can be useful, but if they arent, we've better options.

If teams stop going 1v1 against us, he'll become less useful also.

Not if it's tight game
True, but if we create and take our opportunities, as one would expect, then we need the likes of Nunes and McAtee on the pitch and integrated as soon as possible. In the Fulham game last season, fourth league game of the season, we managed to get Lewis, Bobb, Phillips, and Gomez on, and I’m hoping we can do something similar today with the fringe players.

Looked rather hesitant and colourless in the early matches, but started to develop in the later matches in which he was given minutes. I think there's quite a skilful player there, though he'll obviously never be a game changer. Question is, how many minutes can Pep give him, realistically?
Midfield, whether deep lying or forward lying (I avoid the terms “attacking” and “defensive” midfielders): Rod, Gundo, Kova, McAtee, Kev, Bernardo (potentially), Phil (!! potentially). Even Johnny, on occasions. I just don't really see where you're going to fit Nunes into that, unless we get a horrendous run of injuries. Pep doesn't half love his midfielders, though…

Huge amount of games, if we go deep in the cups. Pep's going to rotate even more than previous seasons.

All players will get a chance, including McAtee and Nunes. McAtee is better in and around the box, Nunes is more athletic and versatile (Pep played him on the left wing vs Bournemouth away!).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.