27 | Matheus Nunes - 2024/25

OK, I admit, my analogy was a little ridiculous.

But the fact remains that Nunes was brought in because de Bruyne was injured and would be out for a large part of the season.

There is no way Txiki would have brought in a replacement/cover for him that he didn’t think had a high degree of technical ability, even if there was little or no chance that he would be equal to Kevin.

And, let’s face it, who is

My understanding is he was brought in more for when Gundogan decided on Barca (I believe Kov was always getting signed regardless).

But then Gundo is an equally adept technical player (and not many in the world can replicate what he gave us).

Who knows what Txiki and Pep saw, but something we have not yet (although I don’t believe I am as down on him as most).

I just see his physical attribute as suiting other teams then City better.

But who knows, this could be part of an evolution as we certainly have gone for last 2 seasons for players who can beat a man to create space (not just on the wings with Doku and Savio, but Kov and Nunes both beat a man).

See how the season goes.

FWIW he seems a good guy who tries hard and has something, I’m sure we’re both on the same page in hoping it works for him even if we disagree a bit on his skillset.

Was he at training today? Seems odd that he posted photos of himself in Portugal after the game on Saturday…

he will end up being a victim of poor planning unfortunately. never understood why they decided to buy two similar players in kovacic and nunes in the same window. good player, just not for us.

Has all the physical attributes to be a City player, but then being a City player is as much, if not more, about your mind as your body.

He’s got the size, strength and speed necessary to play a role, but it remains to be seen whether he has the mind.

Sadly, one of the things that can happen to players who don’t feel like they’re going to get many chances is that when they do get a chance, they try too hard, hold onto the ball just a little too much, rather than simply doing the simple things well and not complicating the job.

Nunes definitely has that change of space to exploit the opposition, but we have yet to see him weave himself into the patterns of play or make that killer pass, or slot in that goal from the edge of the box or late run.

Let’s face it, we’ve been spoiled by having the likes of KDB, Bernardo, Silva, Gundo, Foden, Yaya, Rodri and on and on playing for us in midfield for the last decade, so the bar is set quite high.

Kova has come in and taken to his role like a duck to water, albeit it was even a tad slow for him. If Nunes can make himself an integral and interchangeable part of that midfield 7 or 8 players, then he has a chance to resurrect his career and pay off some of that 50M. However, we have added two Academy midfielders to the squad this year, who are going to be nipping at his heels to get on the field. With the trio of Nunes, McAtee and O’Reilly on the bench, Rodri not even in the squad, and Foden playing on the right wing, the “3 out of 8” math gets hard for him in big games.

I hope he can take his chances this season, when offered, but it is clearly his work on the training pitch (maybe he’s not a Rondo Champ?!) that is cementing his butt to the bench.

Good luck to him, because it feels like a make or break season for him at City, and that’s if he’s still here when the window closes!

Has all the physical attributes to be a City player, but then being a City player is as much, if not more, about your mind as your body.

He’s got the size, strength and speed necessary to play a role, but it remains to be seen whether he has the mind.

Sadly, one of the things that can happen to players who don’t feel like they’re going to get many chances is that when they do get a chance, they try too hard, hold onto the ball just a little too much, rather than simply doing the simple things well and not complicating the job.

Nunes definitely has that change of space to exploit the opposition, but we have yet to see him weave himself into the patterns of play or make that killer pass, or slot in that goal from the edge of the box or late run.

Let’s face it, we’ve been spoiled by having the likes of KDB, Bernardo, Silva, Gundo, Foden, Yaya, Rodri and on and on playing for us in midfield for the last decade, so the bar is set quite high.

Kova has come in and taken to his role like a duck to water, albeit it was even a tad slow for him. If Nunes can make himself an integral and interchangeable part of that midfield 7 or 8 players, then he has a chance to resurrect his career and pay off some of that 50M. However, we have added two Academy midfielders to the squad this year, who are going to be nipping at his heels to get on the field. With the trio of Nunes, McAtee and O’Reilly on the bench, Rodri not even in the squad, and Foden playing on the right wing, the “3 out of 8” math gets hard for him in big games.

I hope he can take his chances this season, when offered, but it is clearly his work on the training pitch (maybe he’s not a Rondo Champ?!) that is cementing his butt to the bench.

Good luck to him, because it feels like a make or break season for him at City, and that’s if he’s still here when the window closes!
Bringing in Gundo will be the nail in his coffin. Pep and co. obviously know far more, but from the outside, I don't see why we're giving up on him so quickly. As you said, he has so many physical tools.

Bringing in Gundo will be the nail in his coffin. Pep and co. obviously know far more, but from the outside, I don't see why we're giving up on him so quickly. As you said, he has so many physical tools.

Let’s hope not! Gundo is a 1 yr re-acquisition, given the game load. Let’s hope Nunes will flourish under his tutelage and learn from the best.

As your video showed, he has outstanding attributes. However, “Pep’s trust” is the fickle finger of fate, and he just will not (or maybe he feels he CANnot) allow a player to grow into the team in the field.

My gauge of a player is when he gets a chance with the First XI on the field, not as the 4th of 5 subs in the last 10 mins of a 3-0 victory where we are killing off the game.

I make no bones of the fact that I like him, like his size, his strength, his turn of pace is electric, and he’s not been a minutes trouble. I’m not sure if “earned” is the right term, but I think he is due a chance this season, especially with the workload.

now very much doubt Nunes even starting 5 PL games this season. he has to move next week imo, surely with some decent fees spent by lower PL sides there is one club who could afford 30/40m for him. we shouldnt wait until his massacres his value like Phillips. him and us a club quickly have to realize he wont make it here, and cut our losses, I know we like to be nice, supportive, family club etc, its better for everyone as it would have been when Kalvin was wanted by WHU last summer but we were OK with him trying to save his City career. we would have been charge WHU for a decent fee at that time, instead of loaning him until he is free agent now.

Nunes started 7 league games last season after Gundo shaped hole + Kevin was out for 6 months. and only versus the bottom 5 clubs pretty much.

Atm his most valuable asset for us is his speed/pace. In our midfield we only have Foden & him who can cover a dynamic oppo midfield. I would keep him because he`s a(very) good player, didn`t really get a chance & has a different profile than Kova/Gundo/Bernardo. But Kova is simply too good & has enough speed to keep Nunes around. We are also stacked in other position he could play (WB,W).

If somebody would offer at least £25m we should sell. The Player should at least be interested in a loan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.