27 | Matheus Nunes - 2024/25

I think he’ll surprise a few this season. He’s better than what most people think
I don't even bother trying to defend him anymore. In the few opportunities he had last season, he played well. It wasn't even remotely similar to Phillips, who, from day one, looked utterly and totally out of his depth.

I'm still confused about what he is - an 8, a winger? His strength seems to be running either with or without the ball. He is definitely not a "pausa" player so is he vying for the more attacking 8 spot with KdB, Phil and possibly Alvarez?

I'm still confused about what he is - an 8, a winger? His strength seems to be running either with or without the ball. He is definitely not a "pausa" player so is he vying for the more attacking 8 spot with KdB, Phil and possibly Alvarez?
Those are the questions Pep's paid to answer . . . and I think we'll see the answer(s) this coming season , which, knowing Pep, will be some bizarre new position/role , unseen until now.

My money's on "Inverted playmaking overlapping withdrawn false Beckenbauer/Cruyff/Pusckas hybrid"....but then, what do I know ?

We'll see soon enough

I am in the minority, but I am excited to see how he does this season. Let's see now in his 2nd season, hopefully with more minutes under his belt.
I doubt you’re in the minority.

Any City supporter, with an ounce of knowledge of the club, knows that nearly all players do much better in their second season under Pep.

That list is pretty extensive; Jack, Rodri, Mahrez, Cancelo and several others.

Rúben is one of very few, who have come in and hit the ground running from day one.

We saw flashes of his ability last season; I think we’ll see much more of it in the upcoming campaign.

Don’t really get the Nunes hate at all, he barely got given a chance last season (hardly surprising given we have Rodri, Kovacic, KDB & Foden). I think he’s looked very promising in the minutes he’s been given and expect him to play a bigger part next year, albeit still down the pecking order.

I wouldn’t totally rule out Pep coaching him into a DM long term, he’s got the physical attributes

I think part of the problem is pep doesn't know yet either. He has all the attributes to be a top quality 6, 8 or winger in the bernardo mould.

might help him long term if he makes it that far, but in the short term it's hindering him. we need to stick him in one position and let him get to grips with that role and then you can add versatility to his game after.

Last season I was saying he was more use to us as a winger and the limited time he got there he did fairly well and had something we lacked in the squad, savio should be offering that this year, and with Bobb coming on, competition out wide could be as fierce as anywhere so that appears to be a cloaed option for him.

That means he's probably looking at a central role, perhaps he's the Rodri alternative. With us seemingly not looking likely to bring anybody in in that area and we can all assume phillips isn't going to be trusted, pep must have somebody within the squad lined up to do it. My bets on him.

He is a player for me who is best when we play deep and he breaks with the ball with his long strides! When we have the ball for me he is best on the right

Don’t really get the Nunes hate at all, he barely got given a chance last season (hardly surprising given we have Rodri, Kovacic, KDB & Foden). I think he’s looked very promising in the minutes he’s been given and expect him to play a bigger part next year, albeit still down the pecking order.

I wouldn’t totally rule out Pep coaching him into a DM long term, he’s got the physical attributes
Without question he has the physical attributes and technic, he is a very good player but his weakness is mentality for me, he is soft as sh1t, he does not like it up him to turn a phrase, if Pep and the squad can toughen him up he will be a huge asset.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him playing at full back at some point this season. He’s tall, strong, rapid, aggressive in the tackle and comfortable on the ball.

I think it’s easy to have a negative opinion on him because of how little Pep seemed to trust him last season. He hardly got minutes, even in games we were done and dusted in, so easy to compare to Phillips and we know how that turned out.

I hope he’s leaned on a bit more this season, interested to see what he can do.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.