27 | Matheus Nunes - 2024/25

would of done him the world of good, ive already written somewhere on here if KDB would of produced that sort of pass people would of been windmilling all over the place.

There's 2 players in this lad against a team that parks the bus and and plays 2 banks of 4 ,I wouldn't even name him as a sub .
Against a football team with space he's excellent and he will do a job very well.
Said to my mate yesterday when he came on he will be good today as it was an open game .

Pep was hyping him up on the sidelines for a good 20-30s before he came on and I think it was Tolmie who said during the week he had been excellent in training, so I am really glad he got that assist and had a good performance. Two good games coming up for him to get more time and really kick on now.

There's 2 players in this lad against a team that parks the bus and and plays 2 banks of 4 ,I wouldn't even name him as a sub .
Against a football team with space he's excellent and he will do a job very well.
Said to my mate yesterday when he came on he will be good today as it was an open game .
Even when opponents play deep, a common counter against us these days is to thump it high and long to chasing forwards, in the hope that an attacking midfielder can collect the knock down from us and give them the numerical advantage. Apart from Nunes, we don’t have one midfielder who is fast enough to get back and help cover in such circumstances, so I still think that as the season unfolds, it’ll be about recognising where we can use him most effectively in games.

Think Pep doesn't trust him in tight spaces, but when he has open space around him it minimises his weaknesses (first touch, decision making) and emphasises his biggest strength (carrying the ball forward at pace).

He made a lot of his starts last season in the Champions League, where there's always more space.

Happens a lot with Pep players. They’re not trusted in the middle until they’ve done their stint on the wing. Foden being the prime example really.

It’s a bit unusual that Nunes was immediately trusted in the middle when he doesn’t particularly have the ‘calma’ approach Pep looks for.

Buzzing for him. Excellent cameo and a massive fuck off to the many, many fools that have already written him off before he's even had a chance.

Not many in the squad could go past 2 like he did before the pass for the goal, he has unique attributes that can help us a lot.

2 noteworthy things from that cameo for me, firstly how delighted everybody on the pitch seemed to be for Nunes when the 3rd went in, shows he's well liked and the players could see he needed that to start to feel like he belongs, Nunes himself was noticeably more settled once he made that goal too.

Secondly, the fact Pep's bringing him on with 20 minutes left in a game that was in the balance away from home shows he's got the managers trust. Plenty of people suggesting the writing was on the wall when stones came on against ipswich, I repeatedly fought back against that suggestion saying it was simply about getting minutes into legs of somebody who had yet to feature and wasn't worth reading that deeply into at that stage of the season.

Hope this cameo instills confidence and we see much more of him, I've always said there's a player in there.
Let's not carried away here. This is the first time in a year here that he's done anything noteworthy. He did well yesterday sure but hes not going to be a regular starter for us. A good 20 mins in 12 months is not a massive fuck off as you so eloquently put it to anyone. His transfer fee was the same as Haalands. He needs to be producing regularly. In fairness first time I've seen him not bottle a 50/50 since he arrived. That is progress.

Not sure how it looked on the telly but I thought he was great yesterday. Held the ball up well, pulled defenders away and that pass for Haaland was pure David Silva. Really hope he gets more chances, first season under Pep generally difficult to adapt

His athleticism, along with Gundogan's movement, allowed us to re-establish control. Nunes' pace stopped wingers breaking forward, while Gundogan's effortless finding of space allowed total control of the ball once again. There's a place for this guy. No player has everything, but all contribute what they do have. Combinations are everything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.