30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

If Maine Road was rebuilt as it was in 1994 and we went back there, most people would want to go back to the Etihad after one game especially now we’ve got the safe standing and even more so when the extended North Stand is built.
Rose tinted spectacles.
I’m not saying 1994 Maine Road is better than 2023 Etihad, I’m saying that despite us being a brilliant club and brilliant team at the moment there’s still something that feels like is missing from our club… and that’s a proper vocal stand.

Hopefully we get the new North Stand right and put the finishing touches to everything this club has been starved of over the decades.

Niall Quinn’s debut was a night match, I think it was against Chelsea, he equalised quite close to the end with a header, I think from a David White cross, I remember the noise of the Kippax that moment to this day, unbelievable!
Yeah it was 1-1, the floodlight in the corner of the Kippax next to the Platt Lane failed part way through so the game was played out in a sort of weird twilight.

It was fucking shite.
It was our fucking shite though.
Loved it, miss it, want it back? Nah.
Too old to stand up that long these days.
First started off in 1975 sitting in the North Stand and from then until 1978 all I wanted to do was go in The Kippax - 1978 until I finally convinced my Mam that not only was it cheaper but, I would come to no harm. From then on from Ordsall to Maine Road every other Saturday with the few Blues I knew from bandit country. Never stopped getting up to all sorts too.

I took a mate in the kippax, a cov fan, and he said the atmosphere was incredible , took a couple of birmingham fans in there , (think it was the game lake swallowed his tongue) they were well impressed, I think all fans thought the kippax was one of the best "ends" in football

That last game v saints. I mourned as much as anyone, but as i walked away i never looked back. Maine road was a part of my life from 79 onwards, but i knew, as i walked away that last game, that it was time to move on

I took a mate in the kippax, a cov fan, and he said the atmosphere was incredible , took a couple of birmingham fans in there , (think it was the game lake swallowed his tongue) they were well impressed, I think all fans thought the kippax was one of the best "ends" in football
Leicester when lakey swallowed his tongue

That last game v saints. I mourned as much as anyone, but as i walked away i never looked back. Maine road was a part of my life from 79 onwards, but i knew, as i walked away that last game, that it was time to move on
I did take a last look back after the Soton game. It wasn’t the Kippax, for that matter it wasn’t the Platt Lane. Went in The Sherwood and Stop Crying your Heart Out was playing on the jukebox. Summed it all up really for me and still go back to that moment whenever I hear it.

First time I’ve ever heard that the Kippax wasn’t the original name.

So originally the four stands were: Main, Popular, Scoreboard and Platt Lane? Seems an odd mish mash of ideas.

And has anyone ever explained how the Platt Lane Stand came about?

Never been the same club since.

There’s still something missing at the club despite how good we are as a club these days, and it’s a proper vocal stand that we all want to be part of and proud of.

My Uncle stopped going to games after the Kippax was torn down. He went to a few in the years after but said it wasn’t the same and just stopped going.
Talking shit again...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.