31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but he prevents chances happening more than others still. If our finishing hadn't been so bad in the first leg Courtois would've been largely responsible for Madrid going out.

You say that but we shouldn't be expecting to go through conceding 6 to Madrid, 5 to Liverpool, 4 to Spurs, 3 to Lyon etc. In all of those exits you can look at Ederson and levy some blame. I understand how vital it is having a GK that's good with the ball but they must also be good shot stoppers. We're the best team itw between the two boxes, we're just always let down by our finishing/goalkeepers.

I don’t like slagging off our own players but…

Man City Twitter account just posted a video of his top 10 saves of the season, they were all basic saves. I understand he has to be in the right position etc, but if u watch that video and compare it to any others from the premier league u will understand why a serious conversation needs to be had
For context, how many games have you played in goal in a professional football team. Not being negative towards your opinion but it helps to know whether your "not slagging but..." observations are based on personal professional experience or just on watching videos like many of us. For a conversation the perspective of your comments is relevant.

We won the league and still fans/supporters wanna slag a player off , this season on whichever thread you will have seen every player getting slanged off , proper sad but the treatment that Raz gets and then you can take your pic , but now it’s Eddie’s turn , I pretty certain some of you have not even played Sunday league and if you did that was it , he can ping a pass like we could only dream ov

"Is there a metric that shows the quality of shots faced? " I think you have hit the nail on the head. Personally I have never seen one or even close and I have never seen 2 identical shots/saves, which would be the purest basis of a factual comparison. People use technology programmed by humans to provide stats that are used for comparison but they are not fact based. "If" can never be overused in these comparisons so just think of this scenario." If" you took a close range shot at a 6' 7" keeper and the ball deflected of the top of his head and over the bar he is credited with a "shot saved", now let's assume the possibility that the keeper was substituted by a 6' 0" keeper and by some fluke you managed to take a shot identical to the first shot from the exact same position and he was in the exact same position as the other keeper the ball goes over his head into the goal, result 1 shot, 0 save. The stats show one keeper is better/more successful than the other, but the reality of the situation, from your perspective, is that one keeper was shorter than the other, luckily for you. Of course this is a simplistic view but no more simplistic than trying to prove one keeper is better than another without using identical data as opposed to programmed data. I would love to see 2 identical saves from 2 identical shots in reality.

His distribution is obviously unmatched, but he doesnt actually do his job which is saving shots.

Might aswell bring Pirlo out of retirement and stick him in net
I think maybe preventing the opposition from scoring goals is his job, which he seems to have accomplished to a very high standard. It is perfectly possible for a City keeper to obtain a clean sheet in a game without saving any shots unless you consider crosses or sweeping up behind our defenders or cutting off attacks before a shot is possible are counted as shots too.

Being a blue doesn't mean you can't critique your own players. Ederson's shot stopping is a huge issue and it's shown itself in the CL virtually every season. We can never rely on him to bail us out.
"criticism is judgmental and focused on finding fault, while critique is descriptive and balanced." He criticised them , judgemental & finding fault, where was the descriptive and balanced.

Would eddie make the same saves Courtois made tonight in the chumps league final. I honestly don't think he would.
He might have and additionally might have snuffed out danger earlier, he may also have reduced the defensive prerssure by his attacking abilities.

Some people here are so defensive about Ederson. Yes, he is the best stopping possible attacks as a sweeper and his distribution is the best in the world. Does that mean his shot-stopping abilities not improving at all in 5 years are justified? NO!!

I don't care about stats, clean sheets, one only has to watch a game to notice how slow in both movements and reflexes Ederson is compared to elite GK. And those are things that can be improved and trained, and only because he is the best in some aspects, doesn't mean is ok to not improve in things that can be improved. Even his 1v1 tend to be poor(just watch Neuer or Cortouis and compare it to Ederson), and his penalty technique is also really bad.

Is he the best GK for us? Yes. Does that mean he doesn't have obvious weaknesses that can be improved? No. All players need to improve, and when a player stops improving with clear defficiencies, they should be called out.

Some people here are so defensive about Ederson. Yes, he is the best stopping possible attacks as a sweeper and his distribution is the best in the world. Does that mean his shot-stopping abilities not improving at all in 5 years are justified? NO!!

I don't care about stats, clean sheets, one only has to watch a game to notice how slow in both movements and reflexes Ederson is compared to elite GK. And those are things that can be improved and trained, and only because he is the best in some aspects, doesn't mean is ok to not improve in things that can be improved. Even his 1v1 tend to be poor(just watch Neuer or Cortouis and compare it to Ederson), and his penalty technique is also really bad.

Is he the best GK for us? Yes. Does that mean he doesn't have obvious weaknesses that can be improved? No. All players need to improve, and when a player stops improving with clear defficiencies, they should be called out.
I doubt those are things that can easily be improved though. I doubt he isn’t practicing but he just isn’t elite at shot stopping and it is what it is.

Kind of a non-starter regardless, I can't see anyone but Ederson starting for us as long as Pep is here. Which is hopefully many, many more years to come.

To win the CL, we need to command both the boxes. We've fixed one of it with Haaland, as for the other, either Eddie has to improve, or we need to bring in someone who can challenge his place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.