31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
To win the CL, we need to command both the boxes. We've fixed one of it with Haaland, as for the other, either Eddie has to improve, or we need to bring in someone who can challenge his place.

our defense sucked late this season, injuries and lack of continuity didnt help but its been an issue and its no coincidence that we've reached the champs final when the defense improved massively. So, its very unfair to lay all the blame on Ederson, although i think that there are keepers out there that could do a better job at stopping shots while being decent with their feet.

If you watch pep's old barça tape you'll notice that valdés is not nearly as good with his feet as ederson and yet they managed to get by. He was also way better on 1 vs 1 and as a shot stopper and edersons equal as a sweeper. Was he the best keeper in the world? No, but he was great for a defensive high line that concedes a lot of 1 vs 1. I dont trust in Ederson like that, i think he lacks some speed/agility, but the defending in our own box has to improve in big matches

And all this after Courtois played a blinder last night. Same happens when we don’t score more than the opposition and we need a CF. Or when we are rumoured to be interested in a player and our player in that position is not good enough.

Is Ederson perfect? No. No player is btw.
Is Ederson the perfect goalkeeper in a Pep team. Yes. And to me that prevails by far.

And all this after Courtois played a blinder last night. Same happens when we don’t score more than the opposition and we need a CF. Or when we are rumoured to be interested in a player and our player in that position is not good enough.

Is Ederson perfect? No. No player is btw.
Is Ederson the perfect goalkeeper in a Pep team. Yes. And to me that prevails by far.

I disagree. thats like believing theres only one girl right for you in the world. There are other keepers out there that are pretty good with their feet + are better stoppers than ederson.

Also, the perfect keeper for a Pep team would be Neur.

Before people come asking, i rate Mike Maignan from Milan and Unai Simón from Bilbao, also Onana but he is moving to Inter

Last edited:
His presence instills the entire team with confidence. We build almost everything out from the back and when you take him out of the team our entire style of play feels compromised. He isn't just ok with his feet, he's the best and he has the cool head to match.

Think people overstate his failing as a shot stopper anyway, but FWIW we don't need him to be an amazing shot stopper. He'll win us far many more points than he'll ever cost us and the silly points we dropped this season were down to failing to score at the other end rather than anything he did.

Here's another question. Would Ederson have had to have made those saves if it was him in goal?

Maybe with Madrid, sure. But with us he plays a key role in not conceding chances. Did you not forget how many chances we had against Real Madrid at home because of Courtois's distribution?

His distribution vs Real Madrid put us in trouble a lot of times. Constantly picking the wrong pass or hoofing it back to them.
Ederson usually plays 1 of 4 passes, to the cbs, the cdm or the rb. Real cut those options out and Eddies distribution turned to shit. When being pressed he seemed uncapable of passing left where Laporte or the lb was open and kept putting Dias and Walker/Cancelo under pressure.

Some people here are so defensive about Ederson. Yes, he is the best stopping possible attacks as a sweeper and his distribution is the best in the world. Does that mean his shot-stopping abilities not improving at all in 5 years are justified? NO!!

I don't care about stats, clean sheets, one only has to watch a game to notice how slow in both movements and reflexes Ederson is compared to elite GK. And those are things that can be improved and trained, and only because he is the best in some aspects, doesn't mean is ok to not improve in things that can be improved. Even his 1v1 tend to be poor(just watch Neuer or Cortouis and compare it to Ederson), and his penalty technique is also really bad.

Is he the best GK for us? Yes. Does that mean he doesn't have obvious weaknesses that can be improved? No. All players need to improve, and when a player stops improving with clear defficiencies, they should be called out.
Agreed, he fits our system very well & we have achieved great success w him as our keeper. Regarding his shot-shopping, should our goalkeeping coach(es?) be under more scrutiny?

As long Pep is our manager, forget about replacing him as goalkeeper.

Sure we can talk his problem all the time, but as long Pep feels his weakness is worth about it (ie our team playstyles). He will not replacing him, unless his distribution ability is falling off and that's will be impossible any time soon.

If we want to replace Ederson, we also need to replace the person that still have major faith on him and that's our manager himself.

Not happy seeing a lot of people on Twitter calling for Eddie to be replaced after Courtois' performances vs us and Dippers.

Sure, I'd like to see Eddie make a few more amazing diving saves but we didn't fail in the UCL because we had Eddie and we win things because he is in the side and not in spite of him.

People are reeling off the numbers of saves Courtois made but Eddie would almost certainly not have faced that many shots in a the same time period. Would Eddie have made them all, maybe not but we don't know.

I don't think Eddie let's in many at all that he should save but every keeper let's in some of those. In every season, there's a few that fall into the could have saved but it's not many.

City are not about to replace Ederson. I don't know if Bazunu will be kept with the first team squad this year and if he can provide a challenge to Eddie but nothing will change any time soon if not.

I don't mean any offence, but we can add Ederson's "inability" to make saves to Cancelo's "inability" to defend, or Rodri's "inability" to pass forwards, to Zinchenko's "inability" to be a LB, or Walker's "inability" to be more than a roadrunner, to De Bruyne's "inability" to retain possession, to Bernardo's "inability" to change a game, to Grealish's "inability" to be good, to Sterling and Jesus's "inability" to finish, to Mahrez's "inability" to be selfless, to City's "inability" to play a striker or have an individual high-goalscorer, to Pep's "inability" to make subs, or not be stubborn, or play youngsters, or not tinker, or....

It's obvious to anyone that Ederson is not a shot-stopper on par with the outright best. But football is a game where the whole is far greater than the parts and that's more true in a Guardiola team. Every player we have has faults, but they also have immense strong points too that have played a key role in our success, most notably winning the league this season against the almighty Liverpool.

I don't mean any offence, but we can add Ederson's "inability" to make saves to Cancelo's "inability" to defend, or Rodri's "inability" to pass forwards, to Zinchenko's "inability" to be a LB, or Walker's "inability" to be more than a roadrunner, to De Bruyne's "inability" to retain possession, to Bernardo's "inability" to change a game, to Grealish's "inability" to be good, to Sterling and Jesus's "inability" to finish, to Mahrez's "inability" to be selfless, to City's "inability" to play a striker or have an individual high-goalscorer, to Pep's "inability" to make subs, or not be stubborn, or play youngsters, or not tinker, or....

It's obvious to anyone that Ederson is not a shot-stopper on par with the outright best. But football is a game where the whole is far greater than the parts and that's more true in a Guardiola team. Every player we have has faults, but they also have immense strong points too that have played a key role in our success, most notably winning the league this season against the almighty Liverpool.

Football always been a team game, no matter how world class GK is in 1v1 and shot stopping ability. They cannot literally carried alone in 1v10 situation.

I always think our way of play is the victim so our GK is unable to improve their skills to face this kind of 1v1 situation, we have less faced shots so it's mean our GK have less real life scenario to improve their 1v1 skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.