31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
People aren’t ready to hear this. Haaland is a mega star. He scores loads.

What they’re not recognising is that we’re conceding more because we‘re learning to play with him.

I suggested Haaland might be rotated at places like Anfield as Pep may perceive that the team may be more susceptible to conceding than he is of scoring.

There‘s a decent argument to suggest he starts on the bench, we run the life out of the dippers for an hour with the group press and then bring him on to finish them off when they tire.
Not sure that’s it mate . Cancelo is an accident waiting to happen in defence. Walker also loses focus and Ederson frequently gets beaten from the edge of the goal area. Dias is not quite as dominant as he was in his 1st season. All those factors means we are shipping goals.

Not sure that’s it mate . Cancelo is an accident waiting to happen in defence. Walker also loses focus and Ederson frequently gets beaten from the edge of the goal area. Dias is not quite as dominant as he was in his 1st season. All those factors means we are shipping goals.
They’re all factors to varying degrees.

We conceded 0.68 goals per league game last season.
It’s 1 this season so far.

He’s close though, second bottom. 45.5% save percentage.

View attachment 54785

Worth noting that the above doesn’t tell the whole story, he’s right in the middle of the pack for post shot expected goals (basically meaning his low save percentage is accounted for in the quality of shots he’s faced - he’s only two goals over what would be expected.

View attachment 54786

Pope and Pickford currently performing best and making saves they wouldn’t be expected to make.

But Ederson’s not been terrible by any measure but there’s some room for improvement over the season no doubt. Same with quite a few of our players.
Always room for improvement. Maybe our outfield defenders should ease off a little and give him more opportunities to save more SOTA, I'd prefer things just as they are though.

They’re all factors to varying degrees.

We conceded 0.68 goals per league game last season.
It’s 1 this season so far.
at this stage last season we had conceded one goal. We were however a point behind where we are just now.

Its a funny season so far. Nobody really has settled and Brightons position looks the most creditable. Arsenal yesterday returned to being Arsenal. Their defence for large parts of yesterday was so high a pub team could have pierced it (oh, they did). Dippers look very ordinary albeit they will improve as some of their injured return. Chelsea? meh. Spuds look difficult to beat but I don't think they are title contenders. United are flattering to deceive.
If we do what we usually do and settle down around game 10 I think we will pull away (as long as we defend as a team better than we are doing just now).

People aren’t ready to hear this. Haaland is a mega star. He scores loads.

What they’re not recognising is that we’re conceding more because we‘re learning to play with him.

I suggested Haaland might be rotated at places like Anfield as Pep may perceive that the team may be more susceptible to conceding than he is of scoring.

There‘s a decent argument to suggest he starts on the bench, we run the life out of the dippers for an hour with the group press and then bring him on to finish them off when they tire.
Alternatively, Liverpool are the one team that will come at us leaving plenty of space in behind for Haaland to be at his most effective

Agreed, to say we're conceding more goals because the team are learning to play with Haaland is wrong but I get that Pep has changed the system to get the best out of him. Haaland playing automatically makes teams defend deeper, our possession stats this season is relatively the same as last.

We're only 6 games in and it's clear teams have a clear game-plan to double-up on our wingers preventing the type of assist Grealish gave to Haaland vs Bayern. Foden hasn't been bad bar the non-passes to Haaland, hes clearly been told to hold the width, retain possession and be less aggressive in attack (Pep actually said this after Bournemouth)

Another player receiving unfair criticism is Rodri, hes playing in midfield alone whilst KDB and Gundogan have free roam.

We're conceding more goals because of individual errors.

Agreed, to say we're conceding more goals because the team are learning to play with Haaland is wrong but I get that Pep has changed the system to get the best out of him. Haaland playing automatically makes teams defend deeper, our possession stats this season is relatively the same as last.

We're only 6 games in and it's clear teams have a clear game-plan to double-up on our wingers preventing the type of assist Grealish gave to Haaland vs Bayern. Foden hasn't been bad bar the non-passes to Haaland, hes clearly been told to hold the width, retain possession and be less aggressive in attack (Pep actually said this after Bournemouth)

Another player receiving unfair criticism is Rodri, hes playing in midfield alone whilst KDB and Gundogan have free roam.

We're conceding more goals because of individual errors.
It’s not wrong, it’s definitely a factor in how we press at the moment.

Rodri is exposed as we are not pressing as well as a team. (As well as individual errors)

Don’t for one minute think I’m blaming Haaland. It’s natural that a change in approach will take time to bed in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.