31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cancelo was as culpable as Eddie for the first if not more culpable. No need for the foul, no need to jump in. So other than Eddie spilling the ball what else did he do wrong because the referee disallowed their 'third' for foul play?

We are shipping goals and I think its more the move to inverted full backs than any individual. Suddenly our CB's dont look as solid, Rodri is caught more times than I remember. They haven't suddenly become poorer players. Its the system which will bed down if we give it a little time. Eddie has a stack of credit chips for me, the odd mistake is neither here nor there.

That’s pretty much all he had to do! The one thing he needed to do properly he completely messed up. That first goal was his fault completely for me. He has got to do better than that.
"his fault completely" , really ? did he pick the ball up and chuck it in the net or concede a penalty or o.g ? No he cleared the ball out of his area, not as well as he normally does and returned to his line, he then, along with 10 teammates saw the ball ricochet off 3 players at close quarters and enter the net. Was he faultless before the goal was scored ? no, were the rest of the team faultless before the goal ? no. For me he made 1 of a sequence of errors by the team prior to the goal, no more, no less.

Oh come on, he had no chance with the second-;)
Yesterday I read on the infamous match forum one particular nuisance blaming him for the goals yesterday, one a triple deflection own goal and a free header from 6 yards.
That's bad . I believe in another instance he cleared his lines but failed to smile and blow kisses to his detractors on the Pale Bluefaced Critic's Forum, rumour is, one more folly and he'll be cleaning out the planes that the Sheikh transports his falcons in. Then who will we pay 100 million for to change the way goalkeeping is perceived ? We are on the precipice unless Kyle is prepared to risk his 100% cleansheet record in goal.

Last edited:
Cancelo was as culpable as Eddie for the first if not more culpable. No need for the foul, no need to jump in. So other than Eddie spilling the ball what else did he do wrong because the referee disallowed their 'third' for foul play?

We are shipping goals and I think its more the move to inverted full backs than any individual. Suddenly our CB's dont look as solid, Rodri is caught more times than I remember. They haven't suddenly become poorer players. Its the system which will bed down if we give it a little time. Eddie has a stack of credit chips for me, the odd mistake is neither here nor there.

In general about shipping goals and nothing to do with Eddie, goals conceded from set pieces (corners, direct/indirect free kicks) are down to straight up traditional defending and not the impact of inverted full backs.
Last season we conceded just 1 set-piece ALL season. After 4 games this season we have conceded 3.

As for Eddie, based on the most comprehensive advanced goalkeeping data, towards the end of 20-21 he was the best GK in the PL. Using the same date he was just average in 21/22. There has been a clear and measurable fall-off in his form. Form is a wonderful thing. It's great when it returns and for me he needs to build-up that stack again:)

Last edited:

Agreed, poor Kyle was attempting the role of deep lying playmaker in the first half, imo he is no Pirlo or even Modric. It's a much changed squad and I think Pep is tweaking to find the best mix.

That's bad . I believe in another instance he cleared his lines but failed to smile and blow kisses to his detractors on the Pale Bluefaced Critic's Forum, rumour is, one more folly and he'll be cleaning out the planes that the Sheikh transports his falcons in. Then who will we pay 100 million for to change the way goalkeeping is perceived ? We are on the precipice unless Kyle is prepared to risk his 100% cleansheet record in goal.

Quoting me in the same instance as @citywarrior has put a knife deep into my back.

Eddie’s failure to hold that simple ball made Cancelo commit the foul which led to the first ball.

Pep on that incident: 'The fault for the first goal, Eddie has to deal with the initial ball, to take responsibility,' he said. 'Today we were lucky to come back but the Premier League does not wait, you will not come back in some games.'

Yesterday wasn’t Eddie’s best game as we conceded two shots on target and conceded two goals but we move on.
Ederson should have held it, no debate there, but that didn't force cancelo into the foul, their player took a touch out towards ilthe sideline, the immediate danger to goal wasn't there once he did that, cancelo could and should have just tailed him into a dead end.

2 shots 2 goals is a completely pointless stat. Neither goal was saveable so you're essentially berating him for not having to make routine saves during the game.

There was one minor basic mistake which led to cancelo making an equally minor mistake of his own which resulted in a freekick which led to a freak own goal.

The first person you quoted is a Barca fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.