31 | Ederson - 2023/24

I was one who highlighted his shot stopping ability to be below par for the first couple of seasons. Because it was. Since then - and specifically last season (22/23) onwards - he has been the best all-round goalkeeper in the world IMO.

Nobody better than him with his feet - Neuer maybe - in the world and his presence against strikers/from crosses has been immense too.

Ortega is mint, though, so suddenly the line between Ederson and the ‘second keeper’ has gone a little more blurred than in recent seasons with Bravo and Steffen so maybe just general praise for Ortega has amplified any ill feeling Ederson has had.

I can understand frustration at how the media/fans perceive him but Pep has been loyal to him - aside from cup competitions but that’s been the case since he signed - so I’d be surprised/disappointed if he feels let down by the club just because Ortega is rightfully getting some adoration.

One stat that is often missed in the discussion about Ederson and Ortega is the fact we concede fewer goals with Ederson in the team. Whether that's because of the familiarity of Ederson, or the decisiveness of his play and ability with his feet is the question, but Ortega might make more saves but he also concedes more goals. For me, the thing that highlights the difference the most is that Son chance last Tuesday. I don't believe Ederson saves that, but I also don't believe he has to because Akanji doesn't take an extra touch and passes it straight back to him.

Tricky this one if we do get a massive bid in and we except it, it will mean we have to go out and get another goalkeeper, will he be a number 1 goalie or a number 2? If a number 2 would we go for Trafford from Burnley bring him back also think we have a sell on clause with him so wouldn't be mad money?!

He could make that article about any player. If the Saudi’s want a player and offer huge money, the player might move.
EXCL means he was fed info by the player, meaning the player's agent. He cannot make that claim with just anyone. You may not rate Romano but he's not going to make up something out of thin air. He has the trust of too many insiders to be making up stories. One can question the motive for this being passed onto Romano however. We don't know Ederson's motive...my personal opinion is he wants a new deal and he probably deserves it

One stat that is often missed in the discussion about Ederson and Ortega is the fact we concede fewer goals with Ederson in the team. Whether that's because of the familiarity of Ederson, or the decisiveness of his play and ability with his feet is the question, but Ortega might make more saves but he also concedes more goals. For me, the thing that highlights the difference the most is that Son chance last Tuesday. I don't believe Ederson saves that, but I also don't believe he has to because Akanji doesn't take an extra touch and passes it straight back to him.

It's strange because Ortega is far from shit with his feet. He's just not as good as Ederson. And I'd probably same the visa-versa applies with shot stopping.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h and hold...

Tricky this one if we do get a massive bid in and we except it, it will mean we have to go out and get another goalkeeper, will he be a number 1 goalie or a number 2? If a number 2 would we go for Trafford from Burnley bring him back also think we have a sell on clause with him so wouldn't be mad money?!
We’d be forced to go for a number 2 because we’d royally piss off Ortega otherwise. And instead of solving an under appreciated goalkeeper situation, we’d just be creating another.

And for the record, it’d be a significant downgrade. Ortega has been great, but people will realise what we’re missing when he’s our no.1. When our build up isn’t as reliable, when we face more shots without Ederson’s ability to prevent shots from even happening. Ortega saved the 1v1 but then he was also forced to make other saves that Ederson would have come out and nipped in the bud. Ortega was rooted to his line on 3 occasions. Over the course of a season, I’d be willing to bet that shot PREVENTION is better than shot stopping.

When you see the comments online, you understand why Ederson feels like this though. The disrespect is off the charts.

You can't necessarily compare goal conceded stats directly between Ortega and Ederson, unless the rest of the teams are the same, because Ortega largely plays with the lesser players in the squad in the likes of the EFL and dead rubber cup matches. I hope we can keep both keepers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.