33 years ago today.....

s a horrible day, I was at home listening to the Rovers - City shambles and keeping an eye on Grandstand when news of Hillsborough came through and I spent the day glued to the TV thereafter. Very sad, very avoidable and changed football for ever, most ways for the good, some ways less so...

Its interesting to read football fans experiences not directly involved in that tragedy.. Was only 4 when this happened but can imagine how it felt coming back from an away game hearing about the events.

RIP to all effected.
It is interesting. We had a carpet layer fitting a carpet in our sitting room the night of the Heysel disaster. I was sitting on cold concrete floor in the dining room watchig it on a mini tv, mesmerised at the level of thuggery, still crystal clear in my mind.

Turned out alright in the end though...

I was at both Blackburn and Bradford ( in the home end) .
The Bradford footage underpins my point about Martin Tyler ie he used to be a great commentator ( others don't remember this ) and his commentary when City scored the vital goal . indeed throughout the whole build up from Cooper,Moulden white just captures the moment.

Un Like his modern day " city have scored.." in a flat voice.

This was of course before sky sports ,before utd were any good,and way before Tyler turned into a bitter old cynic...here he is genuinely happy that City had clinched promotion in his role at Granada sports.

My dad drove us home in total stunned silence as we listened to the radio and the bodies piled up.
I had travelled to Blackburn via Preston by train having been in Blackpool the night before...went back same route and then into Piccadilly to pick up Notts train...as the train came into Sheffield station..you could hear a pin drop.

Nobody said a word

Sheffield is a big noisy very busy station..it was an eerie silence.
I still remember a few forest fans getting on the train,with their " green uns" Sheffield equivalent of pink final....but no conversation.just complete and utter silence.
Will never forget that day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.