4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an issue we seem to have with all the purchases we make,let's judge the following season is the mantra

Grealish being another example,and to be fair that is working a treat now.

But we sometimes need players to be drafted in and be able to do it,Phillips doesn't seem to be able to,we chuck others in like Alvarez,Lewis,and to a degree Palmer,and they all adapt immediately.

Point I'm making is,will we always have to wait for the following season when a new purchase is made,daft if that is gonna be the case every time.

A big issue for me is the lack of intensity and enthusiasm he appears to be showing.On Saturday he should have been like a man possessed when he got his opportunity,instead i saw a player who was mostly just going through the motions.

The lad has ability,and he was seemingly the perfect back up for Rodri,and maybe a player that could even push him.....yet he doesn't give the impression of someone who wants to be here.

Yep, that's the issue for me as well. I didn't expect him to come in and control games the way Rodri did, but I thought he'd be a beast physically and mop up everything whilst playing some good passes, which were a hallmark of his time at Leeds and as part of the England team. Instead he looks miles off the pace of the game and just jogs about. He hasn't played much, but he's now trained a lot so I'd expect a lot more from him. Compare it to Perrone who came on and was always on the move and looking to get on the ball, Phillips just didn't seem particularly interested.

It's an issue we seem to have with all the purchases we make,let's judge the following season is the mantra

Grealish being another example,and to be fair that is working a treat now.

But we sometimes need players to be drafted in and be able to do it,Phillips doesn't seem to be able to,we chuck others in like Alvarez,Lewis,and to a degree Palmer,and they all adapt immediately.

Point I'm making is,will we always have to wait for the following season when a new purchase is made,daft if that is gonna be the case every time.
It's one thing to see them on the pitch working hard and learning what Pep wants, as you could see with Grealish, but Kalvin isn't being trusted to do that.

Fair enough, and it'd be difficult to argue otherwise. However, I think Phillips only gets game time in matches we're absolutely certain that we've won. This does narrow it down somewhat, because we usually need a three-goal advantage to be in that position. Barring injuries to others, Wednesday might be the last chance we have this season to start him in a game.
I mean it doesn't have to be Phillips, I guess. Could Rico do that job every now and then when he's not being picked in the inverted full-back role? All I know is that flogging Rodri like this is likely to cost us. His performances have already gone down a notch I think due to fatigue, and that's only going to get worse between now and the end of May. I still find it astonishing if Phillips isn't good enough to play that role against the likes of Forest and Bournemouth given what we saw of him at Leeds. Makes me wonder what on earth has gone down since the summer to make him supposedly quite so incapable of playing Premier League football. Mind you, it happened to Cancelo too who went from world beater to pub player in a matter of weeks.

I mean it doesn't have to be Phillips, I guess. Could Rico do that job every now and then when he's not being picked in the inverted full-back role? All I know is that flogging Rodri like this is likely to cost us. His performances have already gone down a notch I think due to fatigue, and that's only going to get worse between now and the end of May. I still find it astonishing if Phillips isn't good enough to play that role against the likes of Forest and Bournemouth given what we saw of him at Leeds. Makes me wonder what on earth has gone down since the summer to make him supposedly quite so incapable of playing Premier League football. Mind you, it happened to Cancelo too who went from world beater to pub player in a matter of weeks.
Gundo in the number 6 role would be most likely Rodri replacement, I think.

Will be sold in the summer he offers absolutely nothing to the team . Probably our worst signing since Wilfried Bony .

Yep, that's the issue for me as well. I didn't expect him to come in and control games the way Rodri did, but I thought he'd be a beast physically and mop up everything whilst playing some good passes, which were a hallmark of his time at Leeds and as part of the England team. Instead he looks miles off the pace of the game and just jogs about. He hasn't played much, but he's now trained a lot so I'd expect a lot more from him. Compare it to Perrone who came on and was always on the move and looking to get on the ball, Phillips just didn't seem particularly interested.
As you say, given the amount of time he’s had training with the team, he should be a lot closer to full speed than he is. He’s not going to at 100%, but he’s managed to look really slow and lethargic even at the arse-end of matches, when the game has already been won.

Realistically, it’s not going to get any easier for him than coming on at Bournemouth when we’re already four up, but he still looked completely out of sorts and I’m sure we have two or three lads in the Academy who would have done better in the circumstances.

I think you increasingly have to look at other explanations for how bad he’s been; whether he regrets coming here after being at Leeds his whole career, or whether he feels like he belongs at City. Something is definitely off. Personally I still can’t believe that he came back from the World Cup overweight, and you have to question whether he would have done that if he was determined to give it 100% to establish himself here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.