4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's played so little football for us, I don't see how anyone could think it's fair to judge him. Especially bearing in mind that it has taken better players than him a full season of regular playing time to suss out playing for Pep and he's suffered injuries which could leave him rusty. What's he played, about 60 mins for us in the Prem? He may turn out to not be good enough for us but judging a player on such little playing time is lunacy IMO. In the meantime Rodri is being flogged and it's likely to cost us at the most crucial point of the season. Giving him a chance and trying to play him into fitness and form isn't a risk, it's a necessity.
Of course it's a risk. If he's as invisible as he has been on the few occasions he has played then it could cost us dearly and resting Rodri becomes academic. He only got on yesterday because we were so far in front. This says a lot about where Pep sees him at the moment. Just giving him a go for his own good isn't a good enough reason to give him game time. He's miles off it currently.

To reiterate - let's not write him off just yet. A preseason could make the world of difference, but to think we have the luxury of being able to give him lots of game time this season is mistaken.

Of course it's a risk. If he's as invisible as he has been on the few occasions he has played then it could cost us dearly and resting Rodri becomes academic. He only got on yesterday because we were so far in front. This says a lot about where Pep sees him at the moment. Just giving him a go for his own good isn't a good enough reason to give him game time. He's miles off it currently.

To reiterate - let's not write him off just yet. A preseason could make the world of difference, but to think we have the luxury of being able to give him lots of game time this season is mistaken.
Playing Rodri every single match is a bigger risk imo. I’m certainly not suggesting we give him loads of game time “for his own good” but just some game time mainly so our best player can still have something in the tank when it gets to the most crucial part of the season.

Playing Rodri every single match is a bigger risk imo. I’m certainly not suggesting we give him loads of game time “for his own good” but just some game time mainly so our best player can still have something in the tank when it gets to the most crucial part of the season.
Fair enough, and it'd be difficult to argue otherwise. However, I think Phillips only gets game time in matches we're absolutely certain that we've won. This does narrow it down somewhat, because we usually need a three-goal advantage to be in that position. Barring injuries to others, Wednesday might be the last chance we have this season to start him in a game.

Don't really get the negativity.

He's learning to play the same role that Rodri struggled to get to grips with in his first season and he's had injury problems holding him back from getting any real momentum.

I say this as someone who didn't really rate him before he signed and was completely underwhelmed when he did show up.

He's not an important player for us, why not just wait and see how it unfolds? I don't really get this fascination with pretending a specific player is somehow dragging the team back and that they have to leave. Especially when they're a squad player.

Anyone even suggesting they'd be happy with Perrone filling in if Rodri picks up a knock is off their head.

Enzo Fernandez has played well since the 1st game in spite of coming from different league.

Enzo Fernandez has played well since the 1st game in spite of coming from different league.

They haven't won a single match since he's joined and he's been pretty much a non entity for the last three games. He's played five in total.

He also cost three times as much and has fuck all competition for his place at his club.

Weird example to give.

I want every player at City to do well of course, but I don't see what Kalvin is offering at the moment. He needs to learn how to control the game and the positioning which takes a long time - it took Rodri about 18 months. But despite that he's always had so much energy and intensity which just doesn't seem to be there at the moment. He's not played much and that's probably got a lot to do with it. Hopefully he gets 90mins against Bristol City and has a good performance and can start being used in games to cover for Rodri or sub for him after 60-70mins.

I want every player at City to do well of course, but I don't see what Kalvin is offering at the moment. He needs to learn how to control the game and the positioning which takes a long time - it took Rodri about 18 months. But despite that he's always had so much energy and intensity which just doesn't seem to be there at the moment. He's not played much and that's probably got a lot to do with it. Hopefully he gets 90mins against Bristol City and has a good performance and can start being used in games to cover for Rodri or sub for him after 60-70mins.

A big issue for me is the lack of intensity and enthusiasm he appears to be showing.On Saturday he should have been like a man possessed when he got his opportunity,instead i saw a player who was mostly just going through the motions.

The lad has ability,and he was seemingly the perfect back up for Rodri,and maybe a player that could even push him.....yet he doesn't give the impression of someone who wants to be here.

If he doesn’t start against Bristol he’s either not fit enough or Pep doesn’t rate/ trust him . We shall see.
I'm not so certain myself either. He was only on for four minutes before he got booked. He seemed to have reverted to classic Leeds mode, and in a mad scramble to impress he's been done by the whistling wanker. I've not seen the action but was it a cautionable offence, or was the ref just having a go at a sky blue sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.