4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't at all look the part in his last appearance - still - everyone has an off game. And he's not played regularly for ages.

So far - I'm not at all impressed - but we have a very small sample size to judge by.

Well that isn't going to happen. Not necessarily directed at you but I think Rodri is still underrated on here for some reason.

If you are close to Rodri you are starting in the CL, for your country and probably play for one of the top 6 teams in the world. That is just the long and short of it. Nobody close to Rodri is coming to City whilst he is still here.

Fernandinho was a one off, a player with vast experience and the trust of Pep.

Even then, Fernandinho was not doing what Rodri is now, he was being used to play in various positions because Pep didn't trust or have any other options.

I certainly don't 'underrate' Rodri. He's first class. I just wish we could identify and sign someone who is an effective backup fir him, rather than the likes of Phillios, who - based on his Leeds, England and City displays - simply isn't good enough.

Can see him going in the summer, I just think Pep hasn't been at all impressed with him since his arrival. Pretty hard for us fans to judge on that one awful showing at Southampton because he'd had absolutely fuck all football before that game.
I wouldn't be that arsed if he went in the summer

I certainly don't 'underrate' Rodri. He's first class. I just wish we could identify and sign someone who is an effective backup fir him, rather than the likes of Phillios, who - based on his Leeds, England and City displays - simply isn't good enough.
The scouting brief that the club would have been given by Pep, probably leads you directly leads you to someone like Phillips though, there is no guarantee of anyone joining and immediately being a success. In fact, if anything, we have seen that 99% of players we sign don't have any real impact on the first team till at least 12mths in.

At least with the likes of Alvarez, he will get half a chance because Pep is more likely to rotate forward players.

Rodri is simply too important to us for Pep to just decide not to play him. He never dropped Busquets or Lahm, its just how he runs things.

Thought it was a pretty rank cameo in all honesty.

He genuinely looked like he couldn't be arsed. He walked and was bypassed without any effort whatsoever.
That’s the issue with him. We are seeing absolutely nothing from him. I think he needs a decent performance tomorrow and maybe get Bernardo’s legs near to him.

huge question and hopefully does not happen so we dont need to find out, but what if Rodri got a 3-4 months long injury?

would Pep still refuse to put him in the first eleven?

Can't believe some of the criticism of Phillips on here.

Let's look at Rodri. He's a cruiser who closes space down, closes opposition players down, tackles, take the ball from defence and attack and sets up a new play. he plays a long ball occasionally , usually to Mahrez and can chip in with the odd goal. he does not sprint round the field like a madman, he only sprints when he has to, but he is world class at what he does.

Phillips came on yesterday and some posters seem to think he should have dashed around like a blue arsed fly to show he was keen. Instead, he cruised around midfield, just as Rodri does, moving the ball around and generally trying to do the same job as Rodri, but admittedly not as well, due to lack of game time and the fact that Rodri is so good that most other DM's would pale in comparison.

We also do not know what instructions Pep gave him before he came on. if I was Pep, I would have said something like; 'keep it simples and try and get into the rhythm of the game''. Don't think Pep wanted someone tearing round the field in that position.

The other suggestion is that we sell Phillips and buy another top class DM to back up Rodri. Simple question, which top class DM would want to come and sit on the bench for most games, because Rodri will play most games?

Can see him going in the summer, I just think Pep hasn't been at all impressed with him since his arrival. Pretty hard for us fans to judge on that one awful showing at Southampton because he'd had absolutely fuck all football before that game.
I wouldn't be that arsed if he went in the summer
Yeah but he has been training for 3 months now. He still mustn’t be showing enough and came back from the World Cup out of shape which is totally unacceptable. For Pep to call him out on that is embarrassing for the lad and I think unless he has a remarkable turnaround, he is finished here before he has started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.