4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If stones is now stepping into midfield then it’s best we move him on and use the funds to fix other team issues. He is a good player but unfortunately he may not get a chance to show us. Rodri is undroppable.

If stones is now stepping into midfield then it’s best we move him on and use the funds to fix other team issues. He is a good player but unfortunately he may not get a chance to show us. Rodri is undroppable.

Pretty sure you will have been saying the same thing about Rodri in his first season too

This thread should be put on hold until there's actually performances to rate him on.
I wouldn‘t put it on hold but agree it’s become boringly repetitive, either: (a) useless waste of money who should fcuk off immediately, or (b) poor start but too early to judge.

So I’ll just look in occasionally until he starts a game or something noteworthy happens.

I disagree,his presence and contribution is a factor in our season and is a definite talking point.
Exactly. Maybe change the title to ‘Kalvin Phillips’ performances, or lack of’. I don’t doubt he could do a job for us but after the unprofessionalism he displayed following the World Cup, he has a mountain to climb of his own making. Let’s hope he shows the character for it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you will have been saying the same thing about Rodri in his first season too
He did look incredibly slow, and it certainly took him longer to grasp the position than Phillips has so far had. The biggest difference is that with the injuries we had at CB, Rodri played nearly every match in his first season.

Still, unless they've decided that Phillips needs to learn much more in training, and be introduced very gradually, then it's not looking great for him.

Not at all. Rodri needed legs around him and we are helping him now with Stones. Gundo also came into a lot of criticism when played as the pivot as he is better suited further forward.

If pep wants stones in midfield and Bellingham, I can see no space for Phillips. Nothing against the lad. I hope it works out for him here but it’s not looking good at the moment.

Not at all. Rodri needed legs around him and we are helping him now with Stones. Gundo also came into a lot of criticism when played as the pivot as he is better suited further forward.

If pep wants stones in midfield and Bellingham, I can see no space for Phillips. Nothing against the lad. I hope it works out for him here but it’s not looking good at the moment.

Just saying that the same was said about Mahrez, Grealish, Ake and others in their first season and now look.

As has been said, he’s been signed for the length of his contract, not just the first season he’s here - and up to now, not been needed given the performance of Rodri, fitness of Rodri and performance of the team, not to mention the 6 months worth of injuries he arrived with

Bernardo, Mahrez, Rodri, Ake, Grealish and Julian are all got games. Even Cancelo got games.

There's a difference between not performing fully and not trusted at all. This is the latter!

Last year people were pulling their hair out over Grealish starting some important games..

The most telling part is you can tell Rodri is tired or when he is on a yellow.. but still Kalvin doesn't get the nod unless we're up by THREE.

And somehow there's also the coincidence that we were not linked with anyone in January yet after his Southampton performance, we saw a need to go get Maximo Perrone who's a defensive midfielder.

I'm all for our players pulling their weight and working out but this one doesn't seem to be the normal.. even for us.

I'm happy to give Kalvin another season after a tricky first one, but I think the "all players need a season to learn Pep ball" idea are a tad overly optimistic here.

Rodri (and Mahrez and Grealish and whoever else we want to list) were getting on to the pitch and clearly learning the ropes while doing so, Phillips isn't doing that. Pep isn't seeing stuff in training to give him the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.