4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see how long his $$$ contract is?

I’m not saying it’ll be a deal breaker, but it won’t make any sale easy, even if City want rid.

I think he’s still got a season to figure out the “chicken with its head firmly attached” football Pep wants, as opposed to what Bielsa preached at Leeds!
Incredibly I think he/we would have a queue if the decision is to move him on, and I think we would even get our money back.

Why do some seem to prefer to have a player fail? What is it about us that Ake, Mahrez, Rodri, Gundogan, Grealish, and now Phillips, that some feel the need to condemn them as unfit to wear the shirt so early in their time at the club? I cannot get my head around this aspect of our fanbase, and never have, from big Joe, to 'boo' Bowyer, to Edgy and on. It has always been an issue for us and I wonder whether all fanbases are the same, or we are uniquely negative.
Is he fit for purpose?

He was added to the squad to give the opportunity to rest Rodri who has had to play far too many games in the last 3 seasons and is running on fumes at the business end of the season.

Phillips simply is not trusted by Pep, the injury was terrible for him but is he good enough even as a stand in?

Won’t play 50 games for us, not a kid and not good enough for elite level.

Maybe… but if you refer to the Rodri thread apx 75% of fans said exactly the same about him. Granted he was younger, but many said he simply wasn’t good enough.

Pep actually preferred to play Bernardo at DM when taking rodri off. Absolutely no faith

He did play a full 90 midweek after a season of hardly any minutes. I’d be interested to see the last time he played a full 90? (Unless it was Southampton away)

But yeah, I think it’s pretty evident that Pep has no faith in him. Yet. Mahrez struggled to get games in his first season too. Pep either plays you into form (Grealish) or lets you sit out, learn then take your chance (Mahrez).

The issue for Phillips is that 9 times out of 10 we’re controlling the game that much that by the time Rodri can be subbed then anybody can go into that DM role with no issue or pressure. But then if Rodri is injured, Gundo will be dropped into it.

I personally hope he stays and we see the best out of him next season. Think he can be a real asset to the team.

Very good points.
I'd say he is a decent player and not one I'd want rushed out of City.
Agreed. The kind of football Pep and team coach is out of this world, look at the way we played yesterday. Very very few players can walk into that and crack on. It doesn’t happen overnight, coaching is coaching for a reason. We buy players and look to mould them and I bloody love it.

Pep actually preferred to play Bernardo at DM when taking rodri off. Absolutely no faith

And yet it didn't seem to bother him particularly,as he sat there laughing and joking with everyone.

Personally,i'd have been gutted and fuming with myself that i wasn't considered an option in the role id been bought for.I would have been in no mood to entertain and provide banter,thats for sure.

And yet it didn't seem to bother him particularly,as he sat there laughing and joking with everyone.

Personally,i'd have been gutted and fuming with myself that i wasn't considered an option in the role id been bought for.I would have been in no mood to entertain and provide banter,thats for sure.
What was he brought for if not to be THE guy to come on when your starting CDM is on a yellow (and probably more than a yellow) treading on the thinnest of ice in one of the biggest games of the season? I couldn't have been the only one feeling extremely uncomfortable about Rodri being on a booking with 60 minutes to go, and saying to myself I can't see Kalvin doing a job here for 60 minutes? It's absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.