4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that Rodri was probably the best DM in the world last season, and probably City's most important/best player last season that will be quite the signing and achievement if he does!!

Rodri’s had one mostly good season in three; Juanma Lillo’s arrival saw the general compactness of the team defensively improve over the past two years, something which his departure could now compromise. Also factoring in Cucurella’s pending arrival - he’ll likely be used as a wide, overlapping fullback rather than inverting like Cancelo and Zinchenko did last year, requiring the midfield anchor to sweep up the space he’ll vacate and just general cover more ground generally. Phillips is better equipped for that.

Rodri’s had one mostly good season in three; Juanma Lillo’s arrival saw the general compactness of the team defensively improve over the past two years, something which his departure could now compromise. Also factoring in Cucurella’s pending arrival - he’ll likely be used as a wide, overlapping fullback rather than inverting like Cancelo and Zinchenko did last year, requiring the midfield anchor to sweep up the space he’ll vacate and just general cover more ground generally. Phillips is better equipped for that.
There's a lot of ifs there that I can't really argue against because they're all future tense. But if he manages to displace our player of the season from last year then fair play to him for his work, and fair play to you for predicting it.

I met a Leeds fan on holiday who said that Phillips would fit right into this City side, and I quote, "because he's miles better than Rodri anyway'. I said that's rather a bold statement you've just made there, can you elaborate on that for me? For me, he was our player of the season last year. He didn't, but he did say that Leeds will get relegated having sold him and Raphinha. Fingers crossed!

He seems a bit immobile and flat footed
Immobile?

Well I felt he was too active, always trying to go and get the ball which can be bad if he is caught out. Although he played alongside rodri so maybe pep gave him freedom and told him to run about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.