4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really - it’s amateurish either way, whether he was overweight at the World Cup, or whether he’s put all the weight on during his break, during a short period of time.

An athlete knows whether they are carrying weight or not, and if he was heavy when his break started, then he should have been more careful during his time off. It’s not unreasonable to expect a professional athlete to weigh himself a few times during the course of a week.

Incidentally Guardiola appears to have been asking the same question in his press conference, namely how he managed to come back overweight if he was monitored properly during the World Cup.
I couldn’t tell if Guardiola was angered that this had occurred on England’s watch, or if this has just happened in the last week. Either way, he’s understandably not happy, but I think to dismiss Phillips as an “absolute amateur” is a bit harsh. Seem to remember Pep calling out Aguero and Mahrez for something similar, and that got resolved easily enough. Athletic article is saying he’ll be back on track in a week, so doubt it’s a major issue. It’s obviously not good, but not sure it’s that bad yet either.

The Athletic article on it says he's expected to be back under weight in less than a week, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played vs. Leeds, Pep started Mahrez 4 games in a row after telling the world he hadn't been playing because he wasn't in the right condition.
A shot over his bows from the manager.

This club demands 100% dedication, he either gives it or goes, it's up to him.

Last edited:
I’m a little shocked that Phillips has come back not even fit enough to make the matchday squad. I didn’t think he was the kind of character to allow that to happen, even more so after the start he’s had here, you’d think he’d be motivated to show what he’s about. And we’re not talking about him being injured, Pep was pretty clear about that - he’s not injured, he’s returned in poor condition. It’s surprising. So surprising in my opinion, that I wonder if something else has gone on entirely. I’ve no idea what, but honestly does anyone actually think he’s the kind of guy to return out of shape when he’s been warm weather training for 4-5 weeks? I just don’t understand how that can happen.
Partying with Jack :( (joking I hope)

Is disappointing though

Englands weight targets are probably not as strict as Citys so he’s picked up pounds while away at the WC and then his time off.

He’ll have been personally aware what his weight targets are though which is the disappointing thing.

Sounds like Peps not even letting him train with the group, just doing 1 on 1 fitness work.

I couldn’t tell if Guardiola was angered that this had occurred on England’s watch, or if this has just happened in the last week. Either way, he’s understandably not happy, but I think to dismiss Phillips as an “absolute amateur” is a bit harsh. Seem to remember Pep calling out Aguero and Mahrez for something similar, and that got resolved easily enough. Athletic article is saying he’ll be back on track in a week, so doubt it’s a major issue. It’s obviously not good, but not sure it’s that bad yet either.
Obviously we don’t know how overweight he was when he turned up and how long it will take him to lose it. Only time will tell on that front.

I might be a bit harsh dismissing him as an absolute amateur, and I’m not arguing just for the sake of it. But I really do struggle to believe that he didn’t weigh himself during his time off, and that he wouldn’t have been aware that he was carrying some weight when he came back to training. He could easily have done some fitness work over the prior week to keep his weight down.

I find the fact that he couldn’t keep his weight down very disappointing given his issues in the first half of the season and the desire for him to make up for lost time. I would have thought he would be keen to get the things under his own control right, so that’s why I equate it all to issues around his professionalism.

The Athletic article on it says he's expected to be back under weight in less than a week, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if he played vs. Leeds, Pep started Mahrez 4 games in a row after telling the world he hadn't been playing because he wasn't in the right condition.
I'm sure he will react to this in the correct way. After all, cheeky did say a players mentality is one of the most important attributes the club look at, before signing them. Maybe he forgot to put his wallet on the chair before being weighed. (tic).

Certainly a terrible start to his city career, as bad as it could get really. Especially when there were more than a few questions about him and pricetag to begin with. Having said that it can only go up from here

I think it's a different situation to those players Philips has just come in and we have to send him to surgery to get an underlying issue resolved then once we start to get him fit he heads to the world cup and afew days off and is further away from match fitness then he was over a month ago. No one is a bigger Philips fan then me I was chuffed to bits he signed but returning overweight is inexcusable anyone who has had a long injury layoff will know you are chomping at the bit to get back, nothing you can do about match sharpness but you watch your weight and work on your fitness were you can, you want to remind your manager of what you offer not give him a reason to write you off. Pep isn't a manager that tolerates foolish behaviour just look at gomez he got himself sent off now pep seems to have lost all faith in the lad. Really hope Philips gets himself sorted he is a wonderful player I worry pep will run out of patience and faith in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.