4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial Rodri didn’t offer anywhere near as much for the ball as current Rodri does.

I wasn’t massively keen on Rodri when he first came, thought didn’t work hard enough to receive the pass. This season and last season he has the most passes in the league.

Here are his City and Atléti passing numbers…

Average passes total per game : average pass % per game

This season Prem - 93 : 90.8
First season with us Prem - 73.7 : 92.9
Last season with Atléti La Liga - 56.7 : 91.1

He’s learnt to become a player who works hard to receive the pass, and is now the best around. Add that in with his excellent passing quality and you won’t find a better passing player anywhere.

But in the Rodri thread in his first season with us, you’ll see me saying how he hides too much in our games. I think people thought I was being harsh but he’s making himself available for 20 more passes a game now. Although even then he was making himself available for 17 passes a game more in his first season with us than he was at Atléti, so he was just adjusting.

Hopefully it’ll be the same with Phillips.

I was moaning about Rice in the World Cup a lot because he was just standing around in midfield when Stones Maguire and Pickford had the ball. Rice had an average of 63 passes per game for England. Only Spain (75.7%) and Argentina (65.0%) had a higher average possession share than England's 64.3% at the WC. Not good enough from Rice or Southgate for a team who bossed possession.

The defensive midfielder has to be constantly moving.
That matches my take on Rice exactly. He could be so much better for England and needs to study how Rodders plays for us but seems to have ambitions to be a more attacking player.

He didn't look very good at all in my personal opinion, when Chelsea broke a few times late on, instead of being there to snuff out the danger he was caught in Chelseas half and didn't break a sweat to get back. I'd like my DMF's to sit centrally and be an option to either snuff out danger or a passing option for the keeper or defenders - he wasn't that at all....
You're trying too hard to press a faulty narrative. You're entitled to your opinion but it's mainly falling on deaf ears.

That matches my take on Rice exactly. He could be so much better for England and needs to study how Rodders plays for us but seems to have ambitions to be a more attacking player.
Rice could be great, just a shame he's being coached by P.E teachers at club and country.

Passing range was great. Looked good in his cameo. will be A great option for the second half of the seaosn, not just go relieve Rodri but i expect some games Pep will start both of them as a shield.

Sounds like Pep is finally in a good place with Phillips. What he's said this week makes me think he hasn't been happy with Phillips since he arrived. Hopefully now he can kick on.

He’s not ready for us yet. To sustain a challenge on all three fronts, we need an e energetic back up/help for Rodri.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.