4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not writing him just because of one game but I never understood this signing anyway

I’ve never seen anything in his entire career to suggest he should be anywhere near a top club trying to win leagues and champions leagues.

Even in the Euros, he had a couple of good names early on but if you watch the knockout stages and final, he was anonymous and getting carried by Declan Rice in those final few games, and I don’t even rate Rice that much. I think I even mentioned this early in the thread when he signed.

I’d love to be proven wrong over time but somehow I don’t think i will be. He’s a mid-table midfielder trier at best. seems a great lad but just don’t think he’s at the level needed for us.

Again, nothing really to do with tonight, they were all shocking.

What is worrying, is that he literally hides away from the ball. When Rodri got in, we were a completely different team. As a 5 you can never hide, and for me that was by far the biggest worry.

He will have to play, because Rodri needs rest, but we will be poor every game he starts as our 5.

Not ready to give up on him yet but surprised how bad he was tonight. A number of times I noticed that he didn’t make himself available to take passes, but instead stood behind Southampton players or forming a straight line with another city player with a Southampton player in the middle thus preventing a pass to him. Hope he can improve and take the chances he gets to play.

I don’t think he was ever going to be good enough for us, but he looks to me like he’s lost his bottle.

He didn’t want the ball tonight, hardly ever showed for it, and trotted around the pitch like it was a testimonial. He played like he was in a daze and had no aggression whatsoever.

He looks like Rodri when he first came in and it took him 18 months to be the player he is now! Don’t think we can wait that long for Phillips..

Doesn’t look good but far too early to judge him in that team performance. If that’s his standard he will be likely soon gone.

In the meantime it’s the form of City players who have been here a while which is more concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.