#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fear we are expecting too much from him, I'm not sure if he is going to progress to the levels some of our fans hope.

He has been a little disappointing this season and I hope he can step up his game in the business end of the season.

I don't think the false 9 position benefits him though in all fairness

Very few players get better season after season after season until they reach their best.

Phil's gone from youth player to bit part squad player to one of our best players in 3 successive seasons. He is due a season of consolidation, and if this is it, I'm sure he'll kick on massively next season.

Remember the human side of this as well, he's probably been dreaming of getting to where he is now - City and England starter - for 10 years. He's had his head down, not doing anything except football football football and occasionally fishing, trying to get to this point.

It's completely natural for him to take a moment to enjoy that and develop a life outside football - have a few nights out, start getting dodgy tattoos, probably buy a fast car etc. - before setting his sights on the next mountain to conquer.

Pep's been there, done that as a player himself and he's guided players through it as a manager. He'll know how much line to give him, and when to tell him enough is enough if he gets too far off course.

Last edited:
I fear we are expecting too much from him, I'm not sure if he is going to progress to the levels some of our fans hope.

to be fair, he has already progressed to be one of the best players in a side that regularly wins the league. He’s often the best player or has a huge effect on most games

the level he’s at now is pretty good. Still plenty of the season left and years to develop. He also isn’t playing his position most games, so the fact he plays so well shows his talent

Last edited:
Very few players get better season after season after season until they reach their best.

Phil's gone from youth player to bit part squad player to one of our best players in 3 successive seasons. He is due a season of consolidation, and if this is it, I'm sure he'll kick on massively next season.

it’s been a weird one this season. Plenty of players in and out of form.

no not really many times he is playing as a false 9. if you look at when he gets to play midfield it is mostly in irrelevant games and if games are already won. I still think he needs to improve his decision making. for example one of the mazy runs he did started near our half way line with 3 players surrounding him and when our 6 was ahead of Foden and only our CB's were behind him, if he lost the ball there it was a certain goal, pep would not like that at all.
Disagree I think he’s showed he’s learnt to slow the pace down over the last 12 months when playing as an 8. Admittedly as you pointed out not in a big game or for any sustained period as he’s only had brief minutes as an 8.

I’m totally convinced that’s where we’ll see the best of him as false 9 doesn’t suit him and wide players are usually fairly inconsistent as they aren’t in the game as much as centre mids.

Last edited:
I'm sure I recall when Pep was asked about the level he can achieve, he said he will get to the very top after he encounters a difficult period and loss of form as all great players go through it at some point. I'm not saying he's playing poorly now, thought on Saturday some of his play was outstanding, it's getting him on the ball more often

Disagree I think he’s showed he’s learnt to slow the pace down over the last 12 months when playing as an 8. Admittedly as you pointed out not in a big game or for any sustained period as he’s only had brief minutes as an 8.

I’m totally convinced that’s where we’ll see the best of him as false 9 doesn’t suit him and wide players are usually fairly inconsistent as they aren’t in the game as much as centre mids.
he has learned to slow down yes. but still he dribbles too often in dangerous areas and tries the hollywood pass too often. he will make it at 8 when pep plays him any important game but that will take time as I said

He has been a little disappointing this season and I hope he can step up his game in the business end of the season.

I don't think the false 9 position benefits him though in all fairness
disagree completely that he is playing worse this year he is playing as good as last season, some of his passes were not finished and he himself missed some chances to score but his overall game has been as good as last year for most part.

Remember the human side of this as well, he's probably been dreaming of getting to where he is now - City and England starter - for 10 years. He's had his head down, not doing anything except football football football and occasionally fishing, trying to get to this point.

It's completely natural for him to take a moment to enjoy that and develop a life outside football - have a few nights out, start getting dodgy tattoos, probably buy a fast car etc. - before setting his sights on the next mountain to conquer.

Pep's been there, done that as a player himself and he's guided players through it as a manager. He'll know how much line to give him, and when to tell him enough is enough if he gets too far off course.
And he's the sort of player who yer think is not having one of his best games and then WHAM! He's sailed past three and put it on a plate for someone, or smacked it in himself.

He’s still a kid. He’s got lots of developing and improving ahead of him. I think we miss him when he doesn’t play but he’s a way off the finished footballer yet.

There's probably not much to think about with Foden. He's a bit like De Bruyne in that he can be pretty quiet but he'll still pop up with 3-4 undeniable moments of brilliance in every game.

Whilst his progress isn't visibly clear he'd probably come out looking good if I compared the underlying numbers from this season to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.