#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he’s had a poor winter considering the trajectory he was heading in the last few years. He seems to have stood still a bit this season and not kicked on. And I’ve heard a few stories about him off the pitch which are disappointing.

But second half yesterday, he played deeper and was much better for it. He’s not a centre forward, it’s not suiting him playing there. Last season he looked like one of the most exciting left forwards in world football and we’ve stuck Grealish there more often this season who hasn’t looked anywhere near as good as Foden in that position and Foden has played more as a centre forward where he hasn’t shone.

In the second half at Norwich he was more influential on the team when he was picking the ball up in midfield and being a playmaker, than he’s been as a cf for ages. Much better second half yesterday than he’s been for a while.

In the second half at Norwich he was more influential on the team when he was picking the ball up in midfield and being a playmaker, than he’s been as a cf for ages. Much better second half yesterday than he’s been for a while.
The elephant in the room being Kdb, as you say he has everything in his locker to play in that playmaker role, but that position is taken by Kev. Personally, I think that is his best position, however for the immediate future Pep needs to play him on the left where he is also very effective.

Think he’s had a poor winter considering the trajectory he was heading in the last few years. He seems to have stood still a bit this season and not kicked on. And I’ve heard a few stories about him off the pitch which are disappointing.

But second half yesterday, he played deeper and was much better for it. He’s not a centre forward, it’s not suiting him playing there. Last season he looked like one of the most exciting left forwards in world football and we’ve stuck Grealish there more often this season who hasn’t looked anywhere near as good as Foden in that position and Foden has played more as a centre forward where he hasn’t shone.

He has just stagnated which is normal for most young players, just part of his development.

But he has to be very carful away from the pitch, he seems to be a bit of a lad, he needs to keep his head down, keep discrete and have no off the field distractions, if he does he could be very, very special.

He has just stagnated which is normal for most young players, just part of his development.

But he has to be very carful away from the pitch, he seems to be a bit of a lad, he needs to keep his head down, keep discrete and have no off the field distractions, if he does he could be very, very special.

I get what your saying, but I think stagnation is a bit harsh. He’s been out with injuries and covid (from what I remember) and it’s been a very stop start season for him.

he’s young and will go through spells of being out of form. De Bruyne, Sterling, Bernardo have all been out of form for spells this season

last season really was his breakout year

Doesnt seem he's quite so keen on his quiet fishing trips these days then?

A few people seem to be alluding to a couple of (hopefully minor) issues off the pitch, I have no idea about any of it myself (though that isn't to say it isn't true). I agree he's stalled slightly of late but as he's such a talent he is still affecting games, I just feel like others he could be doing (even) more for how good he is.

Hopefully a minor blip and he can be back pushing the envelope again before long

I don't think he stagnated he is just lacking consistency. Which isn't helped by not having a permanent position on the pitch. Last season he was brilliant and it was because he had basically locked down the left wing. Then we signed Grealish and imo that has negatively impacted Phil's game..on the pitch. He's been moved off the left wing to accommodate an inferior winger. Now because he plays cf often it's allowed Sterling to take the left wing back in Grealish's absence so now unfortunately Phil is probably 3rd choice for that position.

The criticism foden is receiving is similar to what jesus gets, I don't think it's the players, it's the position and role. It's a thankless task but a vitol role for the team.

Doesnt seem he's quite so keen on his quiet fishing trips these days then?

A few people seem to be alluding to a couple of (hopefully minor) issues off the pitch, I have no idea about any of it myself (though that isn't to say it isn't true). I agree he's stalled slightly of late but as he's such a talent he is still affecting games, I just feel like others he could be doing (even) more for how good he is.

Hopefully a minor blip and he can be back pushing the envelope again before long
He looks like he is starting to enjoy the fame etc, slightly worrying but we have a very strong manager who hopefully will put him in his place IF and when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.